Exhaust Resonator elimination

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Has anybody eliminated the resonator on their 5.3? I have heard stories of horrible sounds when the AFM(DOD) switches to 4cyl mode but,these were cat back conversions.I am only talking about the removal of the resonator.
I have a friend who removed it from his 9-7x and says that he notices no difference in sound but,I would like to hear from others who have done it......Mike.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Mine had it done when I bought it. I think it sounds great. I can't tell when the DOD kicks in by what I see on the dash or what I hear. The res delete gives it a bit of a rumble (very low) at idle, and when you get on it from a start, you can hear the engine noise from the front and exhaust noise from the rear if the windows are open. With the windows closed, it is only slightly louder than my wife's Impala. I think it sounds great. Certainly not obnoxious like a cherry bomb or Flowmaster when they are droning on at highway speeds.

I owe VoyMom a video showing how mine sounds, so I'll try to get one up in the next couple of days.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
C-ya said:
Mine had it done when I bought it. I think it sounds great. I can't tell when the DOD kicks in by what I see on the dash or what I hear. The res delete gives it a bit of a rumble (very low) at idle, and when you get on it from a start, you can hear the engine noise from the front and exhaust noise from the rear if the windows are open. With the windows closed, it is only slightly louder than my wife's Impala. I think it sounds great. Certainly not obnoxious like a cherry bomb or Flowmaster when they are droning on at highway speeds.

I owe VoyMom a video showing how mine sounds, so I'll try to get one up in the next couple of days.

Thanks C-YA....I wasn't sure if all the acoustic engineering was in the resonator or the muffler...looks like it's in the muffler.The major performance exhaust people all avoid a system for the 5.3 like it had herpes or worst.I have to believe it's the AFM(DOD) noise which people describe as hitting highway rumble strips.These were people who had retrofitted cat backs on their 8/4 cyl. vehicles...Mike.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online

No members online now.