Envoy engine removal

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
I have a 2003 Envoy XL 4.2 I-6 with 4wd. I am pulling the engine and I have everything removed accessory-wise. I now know I need to jack it up and remove the wheels in order to undbolt the suspension. I am wanting to know if I have to loosen the 30mm nut in the center of the wheel to remove the cv axle?.. I have seen people replace cv axles and that has to be unbolted but since I'm not replacing just need to remove from oil pain. Would it be possible to take the ball joint loose and allow the suspension to move out far enough to pull the cv axle out of the oil pan without removing the big nut and fully removing everything?... Also, is it possible to pull the engine and front differential together or does the front differential hve to be removed before the engina can be pulled?... Help please.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I did it by removing the axles completely. There is this video that shows with the axles still bolted to the hubs.

Your choice.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Forgot to mention, a lot easier to pull the engine with the differential. That way, if it's stuck to the oil pan, you have a clear way to whack at it, just like in the video.

Apr 26, 2014
When I did mine I did not take the nuts off and I left the cv's. Just swing everything out and yes leave the diff. on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online