Engine swap 2005 to a 2004

eds56

Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Both coast
hello,
would anyone be able to tell me if I can swap an entire 2004 5.3 setup into my 2005 TB EXT 5.3?
I have a complete 2004 EXT donor vehicle(engine, trans, computer, harness, and everything) available, and would like to get rid of the DoD set up on mine. 05 engine just lost oil pressure and I would do this swap if its feasible.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't just bolt right up. May have to get the computer tuned for some specifics to your vehicle.

eds56

Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Both coast
I'm sure the hardware is the same but I did't know if just swapping in the 04 computer would do the trick.
Thanks for the response.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have no first hand experience honestly, but since you have everything from the donor and both vehicles even came with that engine you should be just fine.

eds56

Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Both coast
I'll just check the schematics for both and make sure the pinouts on the computers are similar. I know the DoD has additional wiring.
Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
05 is the first year for DoD and returnless fuel system so it's not a direct swap. You could get DoD tuned out but I don't know if the 05 PCM will like the 04 non-DoD cam and injectors even if it's disabled. You would have to swap the fuel lines and pump to the return type system.

Another option that might work would be to swap the intake and fuel injector from the 05 onto the 04 engine and have the DoD tuned out. Again, the 04 cam might be a problem so the cam specs should be checked. There might be some other unforeseen issues and I don't know if it will physically bolt on.

A third option is to use the 04 PCM and harness in the 05 body. There you might have to also swap the BCM and complete truck wiring. This is just speculation because of the differences in engines and PCM's.

It's doable, just a matter of the complexity.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dang, I forgot about the fuel system change.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Better a deer than a moose in the headlights! Good luck.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you do it, it would be good if you could post a write up or something. Would be interesting.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macicg65

Members Online