Engine rattle with video

Backwoods16

Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Any ideas what this is? 5.3 V8. 135k miles. Its hard to hear while driving but increases with higher rmps. I changed the serpentine.belt, idler pulley and tensioner over the weekend.

[video=youtube;dja_KHhfLUM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dja_KHhfLUM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Oil level was a quart low, changed regularly with mobil 1. Truck runs normal, no loss of mpg and no leaks from what I can tell. Accleration is normal as well is idle. Not throwing any codes either.

Backwoods16

Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Where should I begin my search? Manifold? Shouldn't this throw a code? Ill check for pending codes.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Backwoods16 said:
Where should I begin my search? Manifold? Shouldn't this throw a code? Ill check for pending codes.

Please fill out the rest of your Profile, 03 and 04 5.3's were pre-DOD, 05 and above had DOD which adds a lot of parts that can make noise.

I agree that your sound is more like an exhaust leak.

On my 04 it had multiple busted exhaust manifold bolts (mostly near front and back) I also had a bad donut gasket between the driver side exhaust manifold and the pipe.
I thought the broken bolts were causing the noise, but after I found the bad donut, that was more likely my noise. By the way I ended up replacing all of the exhaust manifold bolts on both sides and getting broken ones out was not fun.

Backwoods16

Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Thanks, ill start looking at the manifold and work my way back from there. Profile is updated. This makes sense now as I was smellong.gas in the truck the other day. Ill be keeping the windows open.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
I have gotten the exaggerated "engine diesel sound" with my 4.2L lately. Thinking the exhaust manifold is gonna need replaced.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
I have gotten the exaggerated "engine diesel sound" with my 4.2L lately. Thinking the exhaust manifold is gonna need replaced.

I would check before condemning the manifold. I thought my manifold was cracked as well but it ended up being just the gasket.

Btw, if anyone is interested I have a manifold to sell in good condition.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
I was goin to replace it anyway. The 04's I've read don't have the best luck with manifolds, but also my o2 sensor is rusted in there so I can't replace it.

Backwoods16

Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Still havent tracked down the source of my exhaust leak, the sound is the loudest at the top of the intake. Manifolds appear to be ok, at least I cant see or hear a leak using a tube. Could the noise in the video be related to a leak further down the exhaust system? I also checked all hoses, they appear good. Manifold bolts arent loose, possible gasket?

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
If there was a leak anywhere in the exhaust, specifically the manifold, would that affect a compression test or not? I'm thinking it wouldn't...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online