End links: ACdelco or ???

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you have a look a this post
http://gmtnation.com/f77/do-you-recomment-mevotech-links-3895/#post76411

You'll know that Moog and Mevotech are out, as well as any that don't have fully sealed boots. Plus, I consider Mevotech as CCC.

The Deezas I installed last year are basically still sound themselves. The problem is that they get loose and are egging out the holes in the sway bar. Problem is that the portion of the stud that sits against the bar is not wide enough to give enough clamping force. I have tried Loctite and double nuts to prevent them from getting loose. That's not the problem. It eventually "eats" into the hole in the bar and gets loose enough to start making noise and egging out the hole further.

If you look at the pics of the ACDelcos, they have a wide shoulder (or maybe a washer?) to hold onto the bar better. And I'm just wondering how long did the originals last on your trucks? Mine came with Moogs that had failed. The two junkers I found recently still had ACDelcos so I'm wondering if they are better than the aftermaket links.

Oh, and I won't be able to reuse the Deezas with washers because I totally fubared the allen key holes the last time I re-installed them.

Any comments?

Attachments

• Deeza stud.jpg
    Deeza stud.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 105
  • ACDelco1.jpg
    ACDelco1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 105
  • ACDelco2.jpg
    ACDelco2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 105

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Moose,

If you can bear the cost, go with the SMAXX. Hands down the best IMO.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
+1 with SMaxx. And once the the bushing wear out, order a new set of bushings for $25. Just be sure to rub a little grease on the bushing everywhere so you don't get that squeak and it moves smoothly.

It's much better than the greaseables sway bar links because I had to twist and turn to get to the nipples and when winter hits, the boots doesn't keep any of the water out. I recall one time when greasing, water just dripped out of the boots. It just makes the balljoints in there shot especially when it freezes.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The real sealed boots don't seem to have any problem keeping water out and grease in. My problem is poor clamping by the stud and nut, which the Smaxx might have the same issue unless I add some high grade washers, if I can if the studs are long enough. And then it's mentioned that the bushings would also need to be replaced and that they sometimes squeak. Exposed like that, any grease there would not last long. The bushings would also compress, allowing for more body roll compared to solid links. I remember when I used to replace rubber bushings with urethane bushings to reduce this compression but it didn't eliminate it. Guess that why they went to these solid links but should have made them better lasting.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Just had mine replaced at the dealer under warranty (extended used vehicle warranty), but they didn't have them in stock and had to get them locally. Not sure where they came from. The service writer used GM p/n's on the invoice. Hopefully they came from one of the other 2 dealerships within 10 miles of them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
filthycasual

Members Online

No members online now.