E-Fan Conversion Question

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Im having the fan codes eliminated in the tune I just ordered for my '02 I6.
So Ive been thinking about the e-fans lately because it sounds like something that would help me gain an mpg at least and maybe a few hp's. Ive read a lot about it here and the other site.
So I get the fans, the setup kit through pcm4less and then I need to buy a fan controller with a probe that I wedge in the bottom of the radiator. I dont want to have to wire a switch in the cab if I dont have to.

Question: How does the controller know when to come on when the A/C is on then? Does the controller get hooked up somehow to the a/c clutch or something?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you're getting a controller that uses a probe between radiator fins, it's got a thermostat that keys off your radiator temp. If you want it to kick on with your AC compressor, you'd need to add some wiring and a relay yourself, or find another controller that has that functionality to it.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
My controller has ignition and A/C inputs. The ignition will only allow it to run when the engine is on, and the A/C will run at a 50% duty cycle when it is on. I have neither feature connected, but at a red light, the lack of airflow will not make any cold air.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
DJones said:
My controller has ignition and A/C inputs. The ignition will only allow it to run when the engine is on, and the A/C will run at a 50% duty cycle when it is on. I have neither feature connected, but at a red light, the lack of airflow will not make any cold air.

Mind sharing what type of controller you have?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Delta Current Control FK-55. Expensive and it took me forever to get mine in the mail. Customer support is 0. Works great, though.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
DJones said:
Delta Current Control FK-55. Expensive and it took me forever to get mine in the mail. Customer support is 0. Works great, though.

Thanks. I dont care so much about how much $, as long as it works and is reliable/durable. So you dont have the A/C input hooked up? Any reason you didnt hook it up?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I don't sit in traffic too often, and if it is that hot outside, I would prefer 4/60 air.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
DJones said:
I don't sit in traffic too often, and if it is that hot outside, I would prefer 4/60 air.

Ok gotchya. So it can be hooked up. Just out of curiosity, what would you hook the a/c input to? Sorry for the million questions but I dont want to start buying stuff if its going to be too much for me to handle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli