Drl Fogs, Auto Headlamps, Quad Beams

plaen

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Need to take and add pictures of the setup

I didn't see an existing harness that would change the DRLs to the fogs, and retain the Auto feature, the Quads are just a bonus feature of the wiring. The HIDs and fogs will remain powered on for the duration of the turn-off delay when the car is shut off at dark.

As usual, Disconnect the negative battery before performing any of the steps.

1. Clip the wiring from the 9006 harness on the low beam headlamps, and clip the wires on the fog lamp harnesses.

2. Connect the yellow wire from the left headlamp to the purple wire of the left fog lamp harness. Connect the Tan w\White stripe from the right headlamp to the right fog harness.

3. Connect the black wires from the left side to the black wire of the fog harness, repeat for the right side.

At this point your fog lamps will become the low beam/drls/night illumination.

To trigger the HIDs in my case, I will be using the relay that comes with them with a slight modification.

4. Take the left hand side cover off the dash and locate the headlight switch wiring

5. Find the Pink wire, splice into this using a tap, or cut it to rejoin later

(Since I'm picky, this step is optional)

6. Run the ground for the relay trigger through the firewall and route it to the back of the headlight switch, splice the ground into the pink wire, reconnect as necessary

7. Reconnect the headlamp switch and replace the cover

8. Connect the other end of the relay trigger to the Battery + terminal with a fuse

9. Connect the other side of the relay to the positive battery post and to the HIDs input wiring

10. Connect the relay/HID wiring to the ballasts

At this point, your HIDs will turn on with the Auto headlamps, and the fogs will run at 70% pwm power for drls.

12. Reconnect the battery and test it out

This should allow you to have Auto fogs, with Low HIDs, when the highs are turned on, the lows will stay on, and the fogs will turn off, the flash to pass will turn on all 6, highs, lows and fogs. While still retaining the DRLs and night time illumination from the front.

If you want to change the DRLs to the fogs and leave the stock headlamps, you would need to purchase a relay and wire it to the stock 9006 connectors, positive is yellow on the left, and tan w\white on the right.

As a Side addition, I installed HIDs in my fogs, since they don't play well with the 70% pwm drls, I completed the capacitor mod to have full intensity HIDs.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Sorry if this is stupid but if I read this right, does this change my low beam DRL's to fog lights only on during the day but auto lights for night on lows?

plaen

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Sorry if this is stupid but if I read this right, does this change my low beam DRL's to fog lights only on during the day but auto lights for night on lows?

It changes the fogs to the "Low beams" and with the relay/HIDs, it would turn on the actual low beams at night with the fog lights. If the relay/HIDs arent used, then the lows become the fogs, and the fogs become the low beams, just would have to use the fog light button to turn on the lows.

I did the mod since I went with HIDs in my lows and fogs, and wanted to retain the front night illumination/drls during the day, Initially because I didnt put HIDs in my fogs, and with the way I wired it, I lost the front night illumination and drls. I had written this up from the old site since a lot of people had wanted to move their drls to the fogs, and leave the auto headlights alone with a little modification. I'll snap some pictures of all the work, and the final product, and it'll probably make a little more sense than how I explain it.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
plaen said:
It changes the fogs to the "Low beams" and with the relay/HIDs, it would turn on the actual low beams at night with the fog lights. If the relay/HIDs arent used, then the lows become the fogs, and the fogs become the low beams, just would have to use the fog light button to turn on the lows.

I did the mod since I went with HIDs in my lows and fogs, and wanted to retain the front night illumination/drls during the day, Initially because I didnt put HIDs in my fogs, and with the way I wired it, I lost the front night illumination and drls. I had written this up from the old site since a lot of people had wanted to move their drls to the fogs, and leave the auto headlights alone with a little modification. I'll snap some pictures of all the work, and the final product, and it'll probably make a little more sense than how I explain it.

Yeah now I get it!!! That is interesting nice job!! Does your unlock change on what flashes since the headlights turn on when unlocking the car?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Sam I did all 3 mods, auto fogs, quad beams and the DRL kill today. It is 10000000% worth it if you have HID's. It took hubby more time getting the rear passenger seat out than it did to hook up the relay and do the kill.

As far as the unlock lights and so forth. I believe mine still work, but haven't asked the hubby. He has it at work but I can ask when he calls on break, thats if the OP doesn't reply first :smile:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
Sam I did all 3 mods, auto fogs, quad beams and the DRL kill today. It is 10000000% worth it if you have HID's. It took hubby more time getting the rear passenger seat out than it did to hook up the relay and do the kill.

As far as the unlock lights and so forth. I believe mine still work, but haven't asked the hubby. He has it at work but I can ask when he calls on break, thats if the OP doesn't reply first :smile:

Really? I am actually not very comfortable playing with the wires in the truck because if I mess up then I am donso lol knowing my luck with mods I might skip it for now lol

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Really? I am actually not very comfortable playing with the wires in the truck because if I mess up then I am donso lol knowing my luck with mods I might skip it for now lol

Honestly if your not color blind and can count, you could do it lol My 8yr old can do it...so can you!!! I have faith in you.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
Honestly if your not color blind and can count, you could do it lol My 8yr old can do it...so can you!!! I have faith in you.

hmm ill look into it then :biggrin: Maybe the next person to do it make a video and make it easier for people like me to go step by step with that :yes:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
hmm ill look into it then :biggrin: Maybe the next person to do it make a video and make it easier for people like me to go step by step with that :yes:

If I can get hubby up early enough tomorrow (he works nights) and I cant lift the rear pass seat :redface: then I can have him make a video. It's fairly simple.

Hope you don't have headlight washers....:biggrin:

Now that I remember I do have pictures from today's DRL kill. I can upload them to the What did you do to your GMT thread

Take that back, pictures look more confusing lol

plaen

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Yeah now I get it!!! That is interesting nice job!! Does your unlock change on what flashes since the headlights turn on when unlocking the car?

At night, my fogs kick on for the night illumination, but the parking lights still flash. I can take a video of all the steps, it is pretty easy to do, I followed a chiltons manual when designing it. The big difference between my setup and a drl killer mod is, mine doesn't kill the drls as some states and countries require drls. Co doesn't, but i wanted to keep my front illumination at night, which meant modifying the drl output intensity, since a drl killer eliminates the night illumination, from what I read on them.

plaen

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Heres a video of my night illumination, I'll take a better video of the full steps on the weekend.

[video=youtube;-ta6bVgPle0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ta6bVgPle0[/video]

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
If I can get hubby up early enough tomorrow (he works nights) and I cant lift the rear pass seat :redface: then I can have him make a video. It's fairly simple.

Hope you don't have headlight washers....:biggrin:

Now that I remember I do have pictures from today's DRL kill. I can upload them to the What did you do to your GMT thread

Take that back, pictures look more confusing lol

That is up to you and the Hubby! Do not want to be a bother is all!! No I do not have headlight washers lol so I will stay nice and dry :rotfl::raspberry:

plaen said:
At night, my fogs kick on for the night illumination, but the parking lights still flash. I can take a video of all the steps, it is pretty easy to do, I followed a chiltons manual when designing it. The big difference between my setup and a drl killer mod is, mine doesn't kill the drls as some states and countries require drls. Co doesn't, but i wanted to keep my front illumination at night, which meant modifying the drl output intensity, since a drl killer eliminates the night illumination, from what I read on them.

Oh okay got it!! Its pretty much everything the lows do but the fogs do instead now

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
plaen said:

2 things....

The DRL's do not kill the night illumination, hence the name daylight running lights. The DRL are the lights that come on during the day, the trucks/cars have a sensor that turn the lights on at night. The DRL kill mod still allows the night illumination to kick on on it's own, it just eliminates the lights running during day time. I know this because my husband just told me that when he started the truck at work, the lights came on all on their own with the DRL kill mod.

Also,

I don't believe ANY state in the U.S. has a mandatory law which states cars and trucks have to legally run daylight running lights. If that were the case older cars would be prohibited from being on the road. Some laws do state that lights need to be used during ill weather events such as rain, fog etc...IF there is a state that has a law for daytime running lights, you could just run your regular low beams so the car doesn't send the 70% power to the HID's.

Not trying to pick a fight, but it would be WAY easier to just do auto fogs that come on all the time with your lights instead of having to re-wire everything. Just my opinion. We did the auto fogs in 10 minutes, the quads in 10min and the DRL in about 15 minutes as we had to take the rear passenger seat out and put it back in.

BUT, I'm not saying your idea is not clever because it is, but for some people the DRL kill is much easier. Take ItsOnVoy for example(no offense Sam) he is uncomfortable messing with his wiring, in your case I think this would be to much for him, but with the DRL kill it would likely be a lot easier doing.

Please don't take offense to this Plaen, I'm just trying to throw out my opinion. After all this site is here to offer help and support to everyone. I still think this should be an article as it is another way to do things, and a lot of people like finding different ways around different mods in case the original mod doesn't work out the way it's supposed to.

plaen

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
2 things....

The DRL's do not kill the night illumination, hence the name daylight running lights. The DRL are the lights that come on during the day, the trucks/cars have a sensor that turn the lights on at night. The DRL kill mod still allows the night illumination to kick on on it's own, it just eliminates the lights running during day time. I know this because my husband just told me that when he started the truck at work, the lights came on all on their own with the DRL kill mod.

Also,

I don't believe ANY state in the U.S. has a mandatory law which states cars and trucks have to legally run daylight running lights. If that were the case older cars would be prohibited from being on the road. Some laws do state that lights need to be used during ill weather events such as rain, fog etc...IF there is a state that has a law for daytime running lights, you could just run your regular low beams so the car doesn't send the 70% power to the HID's.

Not trying to pick a fight, but it would be WAY easier to just do auto fogs that come on all the time with your lights instead of having to re-wire everything. Just my opinion. We did the auto fogs in 10 minutes, the quads in 10min and the DRL in about 15 minutes as we had to take the rear passenger seat out and put it back in.

BUT, I'm not saying your idea is not clever because it is, but for some people the DRL kill is much easier. Take ItsOnVoy for example(no offense Sam) he is uncomfortable messing with his wiring, in your case I think this would be to much for him, but with the DRL kill it would likely be a lot easier doing.

Please don't take offense to this Plaen, I'm just trying to throw out my opinion. After all this site is here to offer help and support to everyone. I still think this should be an article as it is another way to do things, and a lot of people like finding different ways around different mods in case the original mod doesn't work out the way it's supposed to.

None Taken, I think were talking about 2 different things, by night illumination, I'm referring to when the car is unlocked at night, where the lows/reverse lights turn on, from my understanding and interpretation of threads on the old site, the drl killer stopped those from coming on. I could be wrong with that also, since there was no clear cut consise answer. I did see several options on JettStream's site that I could have went with, but nothing that fit the final goal of what I had in mind.

Another reason I wired it up myself was cost since most of my free funds go to the lifted 02, the entire project cost me less than 6 dollars, excl'd the HIDs, which were $60 for 4 ballasts, 4 bulbs, all the wiring, and a relay for the lows.

I agree that this may not be the best for everyone, as some may not be as technically inclined, although, the drl installation still involves clipping and tapping wires, just not as many, and is a relatively simple installation. All of the wires in this, can be tapped instead of cut, saying the low beams are replaced with HIDs, since the low plugs aren't used with the relay

While the US doesnt mandate DRLs, several members here and on the old site when I initially wrote this up were from Canada, and also Europe, which does mandate DRLs, and using a DRL killer would violate those laws, and several of those members had asked if there was a way to move the DRLs to the fogs to install HIDs or just for looks. From my searching on the old site, no one had been able to do it without causing further work, such as hitting the fog light button to turn on the lows at night, this simplifies it with a relay, that typically comes with most HIDs, or can be purchased from any autoparts store for a few dollars, and leaves the operation of the lighting system intact(Auto/unlock illumination/delay shutoff), the quad beams is just an added benefit I didn't think of.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
plaen said:
None Taken, I think were talking about 2 different things, by night illumination, I'm referring to when the car is unlocked at night, where the lows/reverse lights turn on, from my understanding and interpretation of threads on the old site, the drl killer stopped those from coming on. I could be wrong with that also, since there was no clear cut consise answer. I did see several options on JettStream's site that I could have went with, but nothing that fit the final goal of what I had in mind.

Another reason I wired it up myself was cost since most of my free funds go to the lifted 02, the entire project cost me less than 6 dollars, excl'd the HIDs, which were $60 for 4 ballasts, 4 bulbs, all the wiring, and a relay for the lows.

I agree that this may not be the best for everyone, as some may not be as technically inclined, although, the drl installation still involves clipping and tapping wires, just not as many, and is a relatively simple installation. All of the wires in this, can be tapped instead of cut, saying the low beams are replaced with HIDs, since the low plugs aren't used with the relay

While the US doesnt mandate DRLs, several members here and on the old site when I initially wrote this up were from Canada, and also Europe, which does mandate DRLs, and using a DRL killer would violate those laws, and several of those members had asked if there was a way to move the DRLs to the fogs to install HIDs or just for looks. From my searching on the old site, no one had been able to do it without causing further work, such as hitting the fog light button to turn on the lows at night, this simplifies it with a relay, that typically comes with most HIDs, or can be purchased from any autoparts store for a few dollars, and leaves the operation of the lighting system intact(Auto/unlock illumination/delay shutoff), the quad beams is just an added benefit I didn't think of.

Okay, I gotcha now. Yeah our lights still flash when we unlock and lock the truck with the DRL kill. And I had NO IDEA Canada mandated DRL's. We definitely learn something new everyday here lol. Our DRL kill cost us nothing, we had a spare relay from "something" the bank made us have lol and we just used the relay they had that something wired into. I hated having to hit the stupid little button to turn my fogs on at night, so we just opted to do the auto fogs, so I never have to push that stupid button again. I hated it so much I wrote a letter to GMC about it, though I chickened out and didn't send it lol With all the vehicles I have owned that had fog lights, I never once had to hit a stupid button to have them come on. The dumbest part was if we used our high beams, and had to switch back to lows...the stupid fogs wouldn't stay on. I think someone had drank a few to many when designing that aspect of the truck. But now that you explained everything, I feel just as stupid as the little fog light button and I feel bad lol. But I did just want to mention that there is an easier way to do it for people that aren't as technically inclined as other, that way they didn't think this was the only method behind the madness. I guess all that matters is that all in all, either your modification or the DRL kill has the same results, maybe different looks, but both mods will end up saving a butt load of money on HID bulbs, which is all that matters!

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
Voymom said:
Okay, I gotcha now. Yeah our lights still flash when we unlock and lock the truck with the DRL kill. And I had NO IDEA Canada mandated DRL's. We definitely learn something new everyday here lol. Our DRL kill cost us nothing, we had a spare relay from "something" the bank made us have lol and we just used the relay they had that something wired into. I hated having to hit the stupid little button to turn my fogs on at night, so we just opted to do the auto fogs, so I never have to push that stupid button again. I hated it so much I wrote a letter to GMC about it, though I chickened out and didn't send it lol With all the vehicles I have owned that had fog lights, I never once had to hit a stupid button to have them come on. The dumbest part was if we used our high beams, and had to switch back to lows...the stupid fogs wouldn't stay on. I think someone had drank a few to many when designing that aspect of the truck. But now that you explained everything, I feel just as stupid as the little fog light button and I feel bad lol. But I did just want to mention that there is an easier way to do it for people that aren't as technically inclined as other, that way they didn't think this was the only method behind the madness. I guess all that matters is that all in all, either your modification or the DRL kill has the same results, maybe different looks, but both mods will end up saving a butt load of money on HID bulbs, which is all that matters!

Some states require that you cannot have more then 4 lights in the front. so when you are using flash to pass the fogs turn off, so you have low and high beams.

yet they could have programmed the BCM to turn the fogs on when highs where set, which turns the lows off.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Hmmm

Is there anyway of getting the fogs to turn off when the auto-headlights comes on??. In Sweden its not allowed to have fogs together with low beams:frown:.

Ok, almost everybody dont give a shit about that(incl me)but it is nice to be able to shut the fogs off if there is a police around.

If i understand this right i will always have the fogs on with this mod,,right??

I still wonder how they did it on TB:s sold in Sweden, they all have fogs as drl:s and when autoheadlights is turned on it swiches from fogs to low-beams.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Harpo said:
Hmmm

Is there anyway of getting the fogs to turn off when the auto-headlights comes on??. In Sweden its not allowed to have fogs together with low beams:frown:.

Ok, almost everybody dont give a shit about that(incl me)but it is nice to be able to shut the fogs off if there is a police around.

If i understand this right i will always have the fogs on with this mod,,right??

I still wonder how they did it on TB:s sold in Sweden, they all have fogs as drl:s and when autoheadlights is turned on it swiches from fogs to low-beams.

Well just don't do the mod then. You can do the quad beam mod and DRL kill mod but leave the fog lights untouched.

plaen

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Harpo said:
Hmmm

With this one, the fogs wont be able to be turned off. However, there is a possibility of wiring it a little different and using a different location for the ground trigger on the HID relays, like the parking lights ground if it uses a ground to trigger the lights, or reversing it to use the positive signal from the bcm so when the parking lights come on, the HIDs come on, and leaving the fogs untouched, since they are wired differently outside the US it would seem, or programmed differently. Another option is to wire in a switch on the trigger side of the stock low relay, and use that to turn them on and off, with this mod.

For a simpler easier way to leave the rest stock, skip steps 1-3, and leave the old low connector just hanging out in the headlight housing, the fogs will function normally(for you, the fogs turn off when the lows are on, and on others, when the fog lights are on via the button, turn off when flash to pass, or high beams are used), since they are untouched. I ran this way for 3-4 months with no problems, just didnt have my fogs on all the time like they are now.

I would suspect that in the BCM GM programmed it to send the DRL signal to the fogs instead of the lows, and since the DRLs turn off when the headlights come on, the fogs turn off. At least thats how I would of done it, but we all know GM did some weird stuff with how the functions work on the GMTs, and it could be entirely different from a North America vs Overseas GMT.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
plaen said:
I would suspect that in the BCM GM programmed it to send the DRL signal to the fogs instead of the lows, and since the DRLs turn off when the headlights come on, the fogs turn off. At least thats how I would of done it, but we all know GM did some weird stuff with how the functions work on the GMTs, and it could be entirely different from a North America vs Overseas GMT.

I will try to get hold of a the wiring diagram for a TB sold in Sweden and maybe you or someone here with some better wiring knowledge than me can try to figure out if there is something different in the wiring or if it is all in the BCM.

My TB is a US import so i cant look at that to compare unfortunately.

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
Harpo said:
I will try to get hold of a the wiring diagram for a TB sold in Sweden and maybe someone here with some better wiring knowledge than me can try to figure out if there is something different in the wiring or if it is all in the BCM.

My TB is a US import so i cant look at that to compare unfortunately.

Okie. I'll wait for you to drop it like its hot.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online