Dreadfully DULL Head Lamp Lens Solution...

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Topic has not been updated since around 2012...Probably because as soon as I explain what follows... somebody will always be anxious to jump right in with the, "Oh... I just used some Tooth Paste, some Tissue paper and Some Elbow Grease to Clean Them Right Up" solutions. Yeah...? Well, Good For YOU, MCGYVER !

But... I am an Old Man who has to deal with the crippling effects of Dupuytren's Contracture in my hands and fingers so at this late period of being 3/4 of a Century into my Long and Happy Life... I'm Going with "The Chemicals and The Technicals" to work out these problems. Fair Enuff?

The Headlamps on the Wife’s Nissan Altima are TOO AMBER, TOO DRAB and TOO DULL… But this applies to ALL Acrylic HLs:

And… Since I want to use THIS ATG Lens Polishing Kit based upon what I saw in the Video and based upon Amazon Sales and Reviews Ratings vs. EVERYTHING else...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZH5LVR/?tag=gmtnation-20

I also want to get THIS $100.00 ACDelco G12 Lens Polisher Kit via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0758HRJRV/?tag=gmtnation-20

And... for the later Wash-N-Wax Treatment her Car NEEDS… Honestly… I haven’t so much as looked at keeping up the finish on either her car or on my own 2000 “Y2K” Blue Silverado once ever since Covid-19 and ever since my hand issues have been hitting me pretty damned hard. So, I’ve settled on getting THIS Chemical Guys Orbital Polisher Kit to solve those other “Polishing Problems”:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PXZ919I/?tag=gmtnation-20

LENSNCARPOLISHINGEAR.jpg

"Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night... Rage...Rage... Against The Dying Of The Light..!." --Dylan Thomas

Attachments

• dupuytrenscontracture.jpg
    dupuytrenscontracture.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I dunno. In the video, that headlamp looked more like it was pre-sanded than sun damaged. It was just too even. And looking at the reviews, some said they had poor results with an average of 3.5 stars. Personally I would stay with the good name brands and follow Project Farm.

And you'll note that the Visbella in his video looks a lot like the ATG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Expeditor and mrrsm

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Mooseman ...Good Science of Keeping Identical Variables, while Explaining and Breaking Down his Tactics and Diagnostics. I'll be ordering the "Winners' Kits" via this Project Farm's outcome.

"Tusen Takke" (A Thousand Thanks!)

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Okay... The Head Lamp Restoration Kits that "Won The Competition" are on the way. I ordered Extras because my "Blue" 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is in want of these treatments, too:

3MHEADLIGHTRESOREKITS.jpgSYLVANIAHEADLAMPRESTOREKITS.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With the 3M, if they say to sand dry, DON'T! My Caprice's wound up with bad gouges that I was barely able to sand out. I used 3M protective film to protect them however the compound curves made it difficult to apply without a few wrinkles. 3 years and still look like newly polished (minus the scratches).

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Now that my Wife's Favorite Cat has unfortunately gone off to that "Big Kitty Litter Box in The Sky..." I coaxed the 'Home Depot Fresh Water Car Detailer Spray Bottle' away from her that she was using to *spritz* that cat enough to discourage its Bad Behaviors. And now... it WILL get used on THIS Project to prevent the excessive abrasion problem. Thanks!

Reactions: Mooseman

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I had good luck using Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish with a foam pad attached on the drill. I snagged the 3M because I've seen good reviews on it, I've seen others recommending the kit works best when doing a wet sanding vs dry. The Envoy is due for a headlight R&R, the clear coating is peeling away and its looking less then pleasent as the months go by.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online