Does anyone have a spare PCM I can borrow until I get mine tuned? :D

Trail_This

Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
As the title states, I need a PCM for my 03 TB 4.2L so I can send mine in to pcmforless to get tuned! I don't wanna pay their $50 loaner fee :hissyfit:

If anyone wants to be a good soul and let me borrow one for a week or so, that'd be great :biggrin: I'm located in Clark, NJ, but shipping is okay too :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Uh, you can't just slap in any ol' PCM and go. It has to be programmed with your VIN, options, etc. And to have it programmed at the dealer would cost just as much or more than the loaner.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I would just get the loaner. I believe as long as you send it back you will get the loaner fee back, but not 100% positive.

Trail_This

Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
I was unaware that each PCM has to be programmed to the individual vehicle. :banghead:

I will call/email pcmforless tomorrow to see what they can work out with me. Thank you for the replies!! :thankyou:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
It's true that PCM4Less needs your VIN number in order to send a loaner. But this is only for determining the specific options you have so it will drive/control your outputs.

I don't agree that you need to have a specific VIN programmed in the PCM in order to use it. Just a valid VIN similar to yours should do. This includes a valid VIN which has a correct check digit. The VIN tells the PCM which engine and trans you are using via the production line sequence so it can operate and be programmed accordingly

Therefore the OP's original question stands and is valid. Someone else could loan him a PCM and it would work. But the vehicles need to be similar. To what extent, I do not know. I believe that's why most just play it safe and program in their own VIN.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
CaptainXL said:
It's true that PCM4Less needs your VIN number in order to send a loaner. But this is only for determining the specific options you have so it will drive/control your outputs.

I don't agree that you need to have a specific VIN programmed in the PCM in order to use it. Just a valid VIN similar to yours should do. This includes a valid VIN which has a correct check digit. The VIN tells the PCM which engine and trans you are using via the production line sequence so it can operate and be programmed accordingly

Therefore the OP's original question stands and is valid. Someone else could loan him a PCM and it would work. But the vehicles need to be similar. To what extent, I do not know. I believe that's why most just play it safe and program in their own VIN.

:iagree:

I picked up a cheap PCM in the trailvoy.com classifieds way back when. Dropped it in and after a security relearn was up and running while my PCM was out for a tune. I would just keep it within the model year blocks 02-05, 06-07, 08-09 (iirc). Any 02-05 PCM for a 4.2L should work fine for the OP for a few days.:thumbsup:

I'd let you borrow mine but it's an 06 :sadcry:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not too sure about not needing to program the VIN. Isn't there something between the BCM and PCM that requires the correct VIN for VATS? Probably Pcm4less can answer that one for sure.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Mooseman said:
Not too sure about not needing to program the VIN. Isn't there something between the BCM and PCM that requires the correct VIN for VATS? Probably Pcm4less can answer that one for sure.

Looks like AtlWrk already answered the VATS question. PCM4Less sends you the instructions on how to do the security relearn so just a valid VIN similar to yours is required.

Trail_This

Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Looks like AtlWrk already answered the VATS question. PCM4Less sends you the instructions on how to do the security relearn so just a valid VIN similar to yours is required.

Awesome! :biggrin: Now all I need is to find a cheap PCM to buy, or an awesome person on here with a 02-05 4.2L to let me borrow their spare one if possible :wootwoot:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Trail_This said:
Awesome! :biggrin: Now all I need is to find a cheap PCM to buy, or an awesome person on here with a 02-05 4.2L to let me borrow their spare one if possible :wootwoot:

Ive got a few 02-05 P10s Id be willing to part with and Id program it to your VIN if you want. PM me if you're serious, Id like to get $30+shipping for one. :thumbsup:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
can't beat that price, thats cheaper than the junkyard :thumbsup:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
newfie6719 said:
or pay for it and get it sent off to pcmforless and keep your stock pcm

That would be my choice. Then if you don't like the tune for what ever reason, pop your original back in and deal with it.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
you'll have to eventually get the new one crank learned.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
newfie6719 said:
or pay for it and get it sent off to pcmforless and keep your stock pcm

Or just buy a tune through me on one of those cores... but yep, Ive got 1 or 2 P10s Id let go for $30+shipping. Have to check and see how much I have into them total, think I have 4 extras here at home now. Flat rate USPS is max of $12 IIRC.

NewfieEnvoy said:
That would be my choice. Then if you don't like the tune for what ever reason, pop your original back in and deal with it.

True, but I guarantee you that once you drive a tuned one, you'll never drive a stock one again. The change in throttle response and driveability alone makes it worth the $$.

jimmyjam said:
you'll have to eventually get the new one crank learned.

Very good point, if you swap PCMs at all the new one has to have a crank relearn performed.

Trail_This

Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
Ive got a few 02-05 P10s Id be willing to part with and Id program it to your VIN if you want. PM me if you're serious, Id like to get $30+shipping for one. :thumbsup:

Awesome! I'll definitely PM you when I'm ready to go through with this, I'm a tiny bit tight on money at the moment because of Xmas shopping :frown: but I most definitely NEED to get it done before I drive down south to visit family after Christmas!! :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online

No members online now.