differential axle clip removal...Help

stvrob

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Hello:
My rear axle seal on my 06 Trailblazer EXT needs to be replaced, but I am having difficulty removing the little C clip from the groove at the inner end of the axle. I have the pinion shaft out, and I can push inward on the end of the axle, but there just doesnt seem to be enough clearance to slip out the C-ring from the groove. I assumed it would practically slip off. Please, does anyone know any trick to get that ring off? I have the vehicle in pieces in my in-laws driveway, 800 miles from home.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
The easiest thing to use is a magnetic pickup tool. You can get one pretty much anywhere; Sears, Harbor Freight etc.

stvrob

Original poster
May 28, 2014
gmac310; I tried a magnet, I can move the ring around, but the shaft cant be pushed in far enough for it to slip out, the inner edge doesnt quite clear the pinion gear. Should it just slip out easily?

What about the speed sensor for the ABS? Does that need to come out to get a bit more "inward movement"

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I haven't changed an axle on one of these yet, but I've done others in the past. So I don't know how helpful I can be.

Have you tried to have a second person push on the axle? I think I've read that the ABS ring does have to come off anyway for the seal or bearing to fit out.

nunzio738

Jun 8, 2014
Do you have a locking rear end. If so you need to slide the H block back some and rotate the c-clip so the opening is facing you. Take a large screw driver and pry at the slot the clip ride on the axle inwards towards the spider gears. There is a sequence to get clearance for the axle to move inwards. You may also need once you get the c-clip out to pry the axle again outward for it to break free.

Just replaced the rear axle seals last week. first locker rear end I have ever done.

Youtube will show you this but not much detail in the videos I found

Good luck

Attachments

• GM156412.png
    GM156412.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 24
  • GM788486.png
    GM788486.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 22

stvrob

Original poster
May 28, 2014
I don't think I have the locking rear end. I will look up the RFQ code to be sure though

nunzio738

Jun 8, 2014
Locker rear end will be easy to spot. You will see more components in the spider gear area. Reg rear end will have the 4 spider gears only as in the first picture of my post.

Then it seems that the axles are just stuck from varnish in the rear end. Rotate the c-clips in a manner the the open end is facing you. Take a large screw drive and try to pry the axle inwards to give you clearance to get the c-clip out. Use a magnet or as I have some hemostats or small needle nose pliers to grasp the c-clips.

stvrob

Original poster
May 28, 2014
No G80 in the RPO code, so i think that means no to the locker.

Ok. I will try a bit more force. Should I tap on the end of the axle with a hammer? When I push on it it by hand it seems to be bottoming on something. It does move in a bit but bottoms before the clip groove is fully exposed. I will try to remove the antilock speed sensors too though I didn't think there was any mechanical touching with that.

stvrob

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Thanks nunzio. I was able to pry inward with a large screwdriver in the c clip notch and the axle moved in another 1/16" or so. The clip was easy to remove after that. I did need to use a slide hammer to remove the axles though. There is a splined ring pressed onto the shaft just inboard of the bearing which I think is the pickup for the wheel speed sensor. I hope it wasn't damaged extracting the shaft. I did not extract the bearings because the parts store sold me the wrong bearing and they appeared to be ok anyway. But there doesn't seem to be a way to inspect the inner edge.
The new seals fit fine, but there doesn't seem to be as much contact surface with the axle as the ones I pulled out. When installed, there is about 1/8" of shiny surface exposed outside the seal so I hope the new seals have acceptable life. Also, the old seals appear to be in excellent condition, other than the fact that the right side had oil flung all over the emergency brake shoes. I was considering leaving them alone after I pulled the axles.
The emergency brakes have never worked right, and I was expecting the shoes to be worn out. Actually they had practically no wear, I don't think the automatic adjusting system ever worked.

Reactions: Texan

stvrob

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Oh. Also noticed on the rear brake pads, the inner pad had much less wear than the outer pad. Should I use a dab of grease to insure they can slide on the caliper correctly?

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
I have worked on many drum and disc brakes systems and have yet to see
uniform wear on both shoes or both pads.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online