Cylinder head repair

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
I'm at the mercy of my extended warranty and what they are going to approve. I don't know the $$$$ quotes they sent them to see which was more expensive. I would think the full engine replacement would be more due to how much a pain in the ass it would be.

I dunno, I'll update this once I find out the actions they are going to take. Failing heads are becoming quite common on these engines.... :sadcry:

Jan 2, 2012
That's interesting about the heads failing, I have over 140K on my 06 no problems. The op said he only had 88K, how many did yours have Opeth? I wonder if it has to do with the way the vehicle is driven over time? Who knows

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
xx_gearhead_xx said:
That's interesting about the heads failing, I have over 140K on my 06 no problems. The op said he only had 88K, how many did yours have Opeth? I wonder if it has to do with the way the vehicle is driven over time? Who knows

It has a smidge over 74k miles. It's been great for the past two years, bought it with 47k on the ticker. I do tow a boat during the summer, but I am only towing 3400 lbs max fully loaded with fuel and gear and to the local ramp 10 miles away on the weekend. So nothing has been stressed beyond the stated capabilities.

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
Finally going somewhere with this....both Exhaust valves were burnt on #6 cylinder causing them to be stuck open. I wasn't told a reason why this failure occurred, I'm wondering if the loose intake manifold bolts I discovered caused a vacuum leak and lean condition burning them out. The bolts were at best hand tight not any more. I never had a DTC come on for a lean condition so who knows.... All other 5 cylinders looked great I was told.

So I am getting a new head installed to the tune of $3500, I'm only responsible for $100 deductible plus head bolt kit since the warranty doesn't cover "bolts."

I'm debating on having them install a new exhaust manifold while everything is off.... Even tho my original is still ok.

steve

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I'm glad to hear everything will work out good for you. All I know is mine runs wonderfully now & hopefully neither of us ever see this problem again, once is enough.

Are they going to do your timing chain & tensioner too while they are in there?

cub man

Apr 24, 2012
I have this going on now. My 04 envoy only has around 25psi on cylinder 5 I have a little over 127000 miles on this envoy. Have GMC online to help with the issue only if it is proven to be a bad part. I have read a lot online of soft valves. My extend warranty went out at 100000 so I'm paying out of pocket. So do I take to a local garage and pay them to do a full engine or take them to e dealer and pray that it is a bad part so they will flip half the bill? I know GM has a TSB out over this but I can no longer locate it online.

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
cub man said:
I have this going on now. My 04 envoy only has around 25psi on cylinder 5 I have a little over 127000 miles on this envoy. Have GMC online to help with the issue only if it is proven to be a bad part. I have read a lot online of soft valves. My extend warranty went out at 100000 so I'm paying out of pocket. So do I take to a local garage and pay them to do a full engine or take them to e dealer and pray that it is a bad part so they will flip half the bill? I know GM has a TSB out over this but I can no longer locate it online.

Start making some phone calls and get some pricing. Figure the dealer will be around $3500 for a new head installed. You can also try calling GM customer service and see if they can help you like they did for the OP in his thread. It's not going to be cheap that's for sure, you also might consider buying a new vehicle before dropping some serious coin but that's up to you. I was debating on cashing in on the 0% financing and silverados right now if my warranty wouldn't have helped me.

Gluck man!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would think that if you have to foot the entire bill that a decent non-dealer shop could swap the head at a lower cost, particularly if you had a rebuilt head instead of a brand new one.

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
Whelp.... New head installed yesterday and I still won't be receiving my truck back till next week now. I can't be mad because the tech is being thorough on the job and said it just doesn't feel right to him. He feels there is a timing issue, even after he's triple checked the chain and cams. He feels the clock spring on the end of one of the cams is faulty, not sure if that's the correct term but it's the size of a hockey puck on the passenger side cam at the front of the engine. He's reached out to GM for assistance and they can't seem to lend anything useful. He said he's going to go through it with some other techs Monday to see if anything seems a miss.

I mentioned the cam position solenoid and he's already said he checked it, no broken screens and clean.

And now I have a 2012 GMC Terrain to play with...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online