Could it be an intake manifold leak?

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
Not a Technician, retired electrical engineer / advisory systems analyst. Living off computers all my life, and cars as a hobby. Starter studying fuel injection way back in the 80's when I picked up an old '70's Opel Manta with a very early Bosch fuel injection system. Not so funny first experience with MAS story.. Got stuck one night 2 AM, 5*F out, blowing wind and snowing, thumbed a ride on an 18 wheeler (he felt sorry for me) to an all night diner. The Opel just backfired and died, would not run.. Went back next day, wife towed me home, the Air Flow Sensor, a flapper door with a variable resistor attached blew a hole in the door (did not call them MAS in those days).

As far as your problem, you did three things 1- physically re-seated the MAS connector, 2- vibrated/moved the MAS, and 3- reset the PCM . There's a chance problem may be fixed, I'd wait a week and see how things look before spending $60-70 on a new sensor.

Texan, the 8 cyl's have the heated wire MAS setup that I have always seen on GM's and they can get dirty and give incorrect readings. The I6 4200 MAS looks like a small laptop hard drive, just a metal box with a few ports in it. Not sure how it technically works, I got some more reading to do to see if dirt can be a problem with that new design.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
bobdec said:
Texan, the 8 cyl's have the heated wire MAS setup that I have always seen on GM's and they can get dirty and give incorrect readings. The I6 4200 MAS looks like a small laptop hard drive, just a metal box with a few ports in it. Not sure how it technically works, I got some more reading to do to see if dirt can be a problem with that new design.

Bob, thank you for your reply. I like to learn new things.
My funny story. I use to live in Houston. Moved to DFW in 1975. I had a 67 350 Corvette that had a Holly carb.
That Holly was a maintenance headache. One time I was driving from Houston (70F) in the winter to DFW.
A "Blue Norther" came through about mid way. Dropped temp. to 20F. I began to smell gasoline and pulled
over and opened the hood. The bowels on that Holly were leaking like a sieve. I had my offset screw driver
in the glove box, and was able to solve the problem.
Dan Morgan

tdamocles

Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Installed the MAS and it seems to control trims a little better but the trims inevitably get to around +10%@ idle.. Sometimes it is 7~8%, sometimes 10%.. Anymore shots from the hip? Going to have a Ieakdown done Tuesday..

I did notice that the car needs to be running a while now for the trims To get higher.. Car still runs better without the mas.

I have a PCM 4 LESS PCM installed. Could this screw with trims?

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
tdamocles said:
Test has shown that cylinder 4 has 26% leakdown.

I must confess that I have never done a leak down test.
First question. How does #4 compare to the other 5 cylinders? What does 26% represent?
I suppose that this could be a burnt valve or head gasket problem. Maybe rings.
Have you ever put a vacuum gauge on it?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Were all the cylinders checked? What were all the other numbers?

Did the mechanic elaborate on where the air was leaking from? It's fairly easy to see - if you hear hissing through the throttle plate, it's probably the intake valve. Through the exhaust, it's an exhaust valve. Through the dipstick or the oil fill cap, it's likely the rings or the head gasket. Get bubbling in the radiator it's most likely the head gasket.

I heard there was a problem with heads warping I believe around the #3 or #4 cylinder on certain years, don't recall if there was a recall or a TSB on it though.

tdamocles

Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Had the paper stating compression and leakdown but didn't memorize it but I'll try. 1~16%, 2~8%, 3~15%, 4~26%, 5~15%, 6~8%.. I took it immediately to the ford stealership where warranty work will be done.. He said that he thought it was a burnt valve... So I'm guessing exhaust valve?

tdamocles

Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
I was told today by the machine shop that the valve guide needs to be replaced. Hope they do the whole head....

TripleBuick

Nov 17, 2013
I had the P0171 code too. Checked my intake manifold bolts and they were all loose. Tightened to 89 inch pounds. I doubt the bolts loosened up, I think the gasket shrunk over the last 9 years.

Even if you don't have a code check them, it's a free fix, and your mileage may improve a little.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peacesouljer1