coolant in oil where to start

j-bone

Original poster
May 5, 2014
Hi guys , well my mom was complaining of a slight shake when at stop lights or just starting to roll which I believe is from the afm system and ordered the range afm disable which I should of done last year . So I brought in the garage, sure enough it was down a quart but the coolant was low which was odd ( still a little in the tank and radiator was full to the top ). pulled the oil fill and my heart sank yellow sludge on the inside ( I switched it to g05 coolant last year ).
Good news I guess is the coolant exposure is minimal , is it a head gasket or intake manifold leak? ill be doing a cylinder leak down test in the next few days .
is the intake a known problem ?

j-bone

Original poster
May 5, 2014
Well it might not be as bad as first thought I did some more poking around and pulled the intake tube. There is evidence of coolant being sprayed everywhere by the fan and it must have started recently because it's all over the new battery I put in the few months ago. only problem is I can't pin point the leak it's not dripping or wet anywhere its ether dry powder or a syrup :/
is there a weep hole on the water pump if so where ?

The oil fill still bothers me but it was caked on and not wet and fresh if that makes sense?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I don't remember there being a weep hole on the 5.3 water pump. I would see if it is loose.

j-bone

Original poster
May 5, 2014
looks to be coming from where the shaft comes out of the casting .
the inside of the pulley is all caked up with crud.

j-bone

Original poster
May 5, 2014
Yeah sorry for the confusion, the leak wasn't really visible until I started really looking down by the water pump .
Going to send an oil sample to black stone just to be safe .

Horsehaulin

Jan 7, 2016
Indiana
The 5.3 in my Suburban always had the water contamination residue on the top part of the oil fill cap. If you're in the north, it's just a thing that happens with them from the constant warming and cooling in the winter months. My Duramax and my other cars do it also.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
The 5.3 in my Suburban always had the water contamination residue on the top part of the oil fill cap. If you're in the north, it's just a thing that happens with them from the constant warming and cooling in the winter months. My Duramax and my other cars do it also.

Yep, my TB and the wife's Impala with 3.8 both do it. Short runs in the winter that don't allow the engine to get up to proper temp to evaporate/dry out all of the moisture cause it. I just changed my oil Friday evening and cleaned the oil fill cap. I'll have to check in the next couple of days to see if it is back. I'll almost guarantee it is, and I've been trying to let it idle more before driving to get the temp up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Luster

Members Online

No members online now.