Convert a Bose non-LUX NAV H Unit into a Bose LUX NAV H Unit

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
If I read threads here and at the other site correctly. There is a way through software that you can convert a GM Bose non-LUX NAV Head Unit into a Bose LUX NAV Head Unit? It looks like machomachodan knows how to do this I sent him an email.

What I did was purchase and install a 2007 NAV unit part number 15800000 into my original NAV equipped 2004 Envoy, build date according to door tag 10/03. Everything works great now except for getting absolutely no sound out of my system. :sadcry: I am getting the feeling that my 2004 is early enough in the production cycle that it actually has the LUX amp. I haven't pulled the panel yet, but I am hoping that someone knows the procedure to convert my non-LUX head unit into a LUX head unit which sounds like it would be a simple case of changing the part number from 15800000 to 15800001 through sotware probably by using the Tech II? I am hoping that it is an easy enough procedure that I can have my dealer follow it and things should work? Please let me know if this is feasible since this would solve my problem since everything now is working excellently except for NO AUDIO.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
Everything works great now except for getting absolutely no sound out of my system. .
Now there is an oxymoron if I ever saw one................haha, just playing with you, couldn't pass it up.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
Ha ha.. yeah I realized that while I was writing that, there was a dichotomy in that sentence. You give me @!%@$ and offer no help? Thanks..

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
It sounds like the head units cannot be converted from non-LUX to LUX just by software? Is there a way to make my non-LUX Head unit work with my LUX system and LUX amp? Can I switch out the LUX amp for the non-LUX amp?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I believe you're screwed. You either have to be all lux or all non-lux. I think it's got to do with the data bus.

Was there any particular reason why you updated your nav units? I can see why if your original wasn't working, but if it was working...

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
This is some possibly new info for you. I have found people/articles/postings who say they can be reprogrammed and some who say they can't, I believe they can with the right download from GM's TIS site. (doesn't help you much)

Check for the Y9x code on your glovebox sticker. to determine the type of Bose Amp you have.
Changing the amp type in your vehicle is difficult but not impossible.

15800000 WITHOUT Y91 or Y92 Option. (Bose Luxury Option)
15800001 For vehicle with Y91 or Y92 Option. (Bose Luxury Option)

UQA is the Bose speaker code for all year GMT360's and has nothing to do with either Lux or non-Lux amps. Dealer should be able to program the Bose Nav unit for either amp. Difference is: non-Lux has the analog amp which has variable inputs for volume, fader, bass, treble, etc. Lux has the digital amp which has a constant level 2ch input and the HU controls amp output and functions via the Class II data bus.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
Thanks. Bromanjr, from what I read it sounded like the Y91 and Y92 only related to the full size platform trucks and not to ours? Is that incorrect and even though its a GMT360 platform, if I don't have Y91, or Y92 in my list, its a non-LUX? My understanding was that every GMT360 and related platform was LUX until the build date of 11/03 and all subsequent GMT360s were non-LUX - at least that is what I understood from reading some very fragmented threads on both sites. I don't see any Y codes that correspond to either of those in my RPO Code list?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
Thanks. Bromanjr, from what I read it sounded like the Y91 and Y92 only related to the full size platform trucks and not to ours? Is that incorrect and even though its a GMT360 platform, if I don't have Y91, or Y92 in my list, its a non-LUX? My understanding was that every GMT360 and related platform was LUX until the build date of 11/03 and all subsequent GMT360s were non-LUX - at least that is what I understood from reading some very fragmented threads on both sites. I don't see any Y codes that correspond to either of those in my RPO Code list?
You are probably right then, that is an early manufacturing date you stated earlier. Do you still have any headunit that works in the truck? If so, what is the part number. Searching that number should be conclusive.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
Matt said:
I believe you're screwed. You either have to be all lux or all non-lux. I think it's got to do with the data bus.

Was there any particular reason why you updated your nav units? I can see why if your original wasn't working, but if it was working...
Matt, when I bought my truck it had the 6 CD Changer Head unit in it. Recently I was having trouble with the radio and checked my RPO code list and found that it had originally been a NAV unit truck.

From what I read on this site and the other site.. all GMT360 platform trucks came with the Class II Data Bus from inception, correct?

Also, from what I read on here, the infamous other site and from what my dealer told me I needed the 15800000 NAV head unit (the service guy at the dealers even gave me a slip of paper that has 15800000 written on it) for everything to run properly and decided it wasn't worth trying to get the 6CD changer that it came with working if I could find a NAV unit at a reasonable price. Which I did. I Installed it in my truck and everything works, including the SWC controls, I have a chime, the NAV works great except for no sound and no audio coming from the radio.

Then I read through some long threads on the other site and it looks like since 2004 was the transition year (cut off build date of 11/2003), I should have purchased the LUX version - 15800001 or previous versions instead, since my trucks build date is 10/03?? I really wish there was a definitive write up on our radios. So here I sit with a working Head unit up to the point of no working audio. Also, from after putting this NAV unit in my truck, my speedometer has started to work again?? I thought my stepper motor had gone bad, but I slap this NAV unit in and now I have a functioning speedometer, WTF? What I really need to do is pull the interior trim panel off the cargo area on the drivers side and get more details on my amp. But, because my tailgate has gotten temperamental and only opens either way about 20 % of the time that was going to be a last ditch effort. Also, from what I was reading it was really an unknown as to exactly where the amp is on an XUV but there have been posts telling me on the drivers side just like on the XL versions? There is some very contradictory information on this Audio System floating around the net:

1)What the cut off date was/is.. 2003? 2004? when some posters talk about 03 they did not specify if they meant calendar date of the truck or the build date..

2) Class II data bus all years or only subsequent to sometime in 2003? There was differing information on that.

3) What does the RPO code UQA stand for there were people saying it meant the LUX version of the amp.. there were people saying it means BOSE or not BOSE and there were people saying it didn't mean anything related to either LUX or BOSE. What does the code UQ7 mean? There was differing info on the Y91 and Y92 codes and what they meant and even if they were relevant to our platform?

4) Also, posters said there were people that can convert the LUX head unit to non-LUX and vice versa and other people saying that the internals of the units differ too much for it to be a simple programming choice.

5) There was also differing information on how to add the LUX amp or non-LUX amps to our trucks.

IF GM chose to make this frucking system so confusing and attempt to prevent us from putting aftermarket shi^ in our trucks the least they could do was have noncontradictory definitive information available and provide it to us free of charge instead of this advance in the semi darkness shi^. I still don't know if I wasted $350 on this head unit or not???? :crazy: :sick: :shhh:

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
2). All GMT360/370/305 used Class II communications for over a dozen modules, only BOSE "LUX" amps used that communications for audio adjustments to the amp.

3).Here's what I found on those codes:
UQ7 26530 P SPR M SPEAKER SYSTEM PREMIUM PERFORMANCE, ENHANCED AUDIO, BOSE
UQA 26497 P SPR M SPEAKER SYSTEM PREMIUM PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO

What is the part number of the headunit that was working in the truck when you bought it?

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
I didn't get the part number off that radio since it wasn't the radio that came originally with the truck.. but I can probably go find it. What do those RPO code details for those two codes mean? The UQA is premium, what makes the system premium? Does it only mean Bose no Bose? LUX not LUX? nothing to do with those two? Were all pre-11/03 vehicles LUX if they came with the Navigation head unit? Did Y91 or Y92 apply and was it used to signify LUX on our trucks? I was understanding that Y91/Y92 and UQA were eqivalent and the UQA designation was used on the GMT360. The Y codes were used on the full sized platforms?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Not sure I can answer any of those questions accurately, I agree the Y9x codes were probably used for the full size only. And UQA means BOSE. Don't know where UQ7 applies.

My interest in your original headunit part # was to help you verify LUX or non LUX in your truck without pulling trim panel.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
I appreciate all the help I can get and if I had the part number I would gladly give it to you. I should have kept that flakey thing around for just such a check. Is there a quick check to see if the radio's audio that I just installed is working correctly? I went out to my truck just now to check the amp part number.. I thought there would actually be an access panel where I thought the amp would be.. but it looks like you have to pull entire panels out to access it and not just that panel but adjoining ones also? Can anything be easy? Or isn't that where an actual amp would be in this truck since it would be in the water tight cargo area? I also have a question not related, I don't think, to my audio issues.. I noticed by the hinge side of tailgate plastic coated two wires that are broken off and just hanging near my hinge. The wires are black (I think) and red? Anyone know what these wires would be? I can check the wiring diagram but was hoping someone would know. Thanks.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
dunno if this will help.. but...
GMT360BoseAmps.jpg

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
coolasice thanks for that picture and that informative link. That should clear up a few questions.

BRomanjr the part number of the 6 CD Changer that was working in my truck sporadically and not very well was:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
OK. Y91 and Y92 are the LUX equivalent in the full size GMT's. What you need to do is get a Nav unit from an 03-05 Avalanche, Yukon, Escalade etc.

This will need to be reprogrammed by the dealer with your VIN, but it should be plug and play otherwise. UQA is the 6 bose speaker option. UC6 is the bose 6cd changer headunit code. If the truck has the UQA code it has the amp...LUX is 02-03 and non-LUX is 04+.

There is no UQ7 rpo for our trucks...that may have been referring to the rpo for full size GMT's.

I believe over here (the US), when they talk about the year of the vehicle, it's the model year, not the build year. Where I come from it's all build year...when I ordered my Commodore SS, it was build in 02 so it was a MY02, not a MY03.

IIRC the amp for the XUV is on the opposite side to the SWB...but that's from memory and I'm getting old. There is no access panel for it, you have to at least unscrew the trim at the tailgate end to get a peak of that area. I wouldn't go removing the entire panel if I didn't have to.

Hope this helps some.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
BTW, the wires hanging from the lift gate...what's not working in that area? Wiper, lights, defroster, that will give you an idea of what the wires are for.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
BRomanjr the part number of the 6 CD Changer that was working in my truck sporadically and not very well was:

That 6-Disc changer is listed as a UC3 (non-BOSE) for 2002-2003 It probably has an AM/FM button so it's not compatible with XM.

Appears someone put just anything they could find that would plug in it to sell the truck, surprised it worked at all.

If it was me, I would confirm the BOSE amp model first, and if it's LUX, then trade the one you have for the right one.
That 15058229 radio would probably work good in the right vehicle, find someone who needs it and get a few bucks maybe.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
Thanks Matt and BRomanJr. All that helps. Can anyone confirm that the up-to date of 11/03 for the LUX to non-LUX switch-over date? I really don't want to start pulling my water tight cargo area apart just to get to the amplifier part number.. Would there be any other simple explanation as to why I would not have any audio in this system besides the head unit vs. amplifier incompatibility? Why didn't GM put the amp in a more accessible area or at least give us a smaller access door to use if we wanted to service our amp? Oh, yeah that's right.. GM doesn't want us to f#$% with our radios. :smile:

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
BRomanJr said:
Appears someone put just anything they could find that would plug in it to sell the truck, surprised it worked at all.

If it was me, I would confirm the BOSE amp model first, and if it's LUX, then trade the one you have for the right one.
That 15058229 radio would probably work good in the right vehicle, find someone who needs it and get a few bucks maybe.
That's exactly what I thought. I wonder where the original NAV unit went. Thanks for reinforcing my thinking on that.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
Thanks Matt and BRomanJr. All that helps. Can anyone confirm that the up-to date of 11/03 for the LUX to non-LUX switch-over date? I really don't want to start pulling my water tight cargo area apart just to get to the amplifier part number.. Would there be any other simple explanation as to why I would not have any audio in this system besides the head unit vs. amplifier incompatibility? Why didn't GM put the amp in a more accessible area or at least give us a smaller access door to use if we wanted to service our amp? Oh, yeah that's right.. GM doesn't want us to f#$% with our radios. :smile:
Where do you get that the cargo compartment is watertight? AFAIK it isn't. The interior trim is just that, trim. Unbolt/unscrew it and have a look.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
The XUV basically has the back end of a truck box and can be hosed out to clean it up. I am thinking there has to be seals between the panels and electrical components like the amplifier.

Attachments

• 2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLT qQ_800.jpg
    2005 GMC Envoy XUV SLT qQ_800.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 3

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
The XUV basically has the back end of a truck box and can be hosed out to clean it up. I am thinking there has to be seals between the panels and electrical components like the amplifier.
No seals that I am aware of, just overlapping panels to divert water to the drains incorporated into the floor.

Based on the pictures of the amps in an earlier post, you don't really need the part number because they look so different, may be able to peek in with a flashlight through a lifted edge instead of removing entire panel. Never had mine apart so I'm not sure where to tell you to start.

Reactions: Matt

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
Have you tried that? Can you see your amp? What do you have for a sound system?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
Have you tried that? Can you see your amp? What do you have for a sound system?
Never had the back apart.

Originally had the 6-disc BOSE, and i upgraded to the same Touchscreen NAV you bought, I don't have the LUX.
I like the NAV, XM worked perfect when I was subscribed, I added the BlueFusion bluetooth for handsfree. (plugs into XM harness)

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
You bought and use 15800001? Where did you patch into the XM harness for the bluetooth connection?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
04, according to wiring manuals, actually had both Lux and non-Lux available. One was called "midgrade," which I believe to be non-Lux. This later became the "premium" option.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
illogicTC, do the wiring manuals give dates as to when the Lux and non-Lux apply?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
You bought and use 15800001? Where did you patch into the XM harness for the bluetooth connection?
No, I have non-LUX, used 15800000 and it works great.

The bluetooth kit came with a vehicle specific harness that just needed to plug-in to the existing XM harness that goes from the head unit to the XM module under the glove box. I'm not sure I would buy it again, non-intuitive operation IMO and although it cuts out radio/XM automatically and switches over to bluetooth, you have to manually switch back to what you were listening to.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
BRomanJr said:
No, I have non-LUX, used 15800000 and it works great.
Can you tell me what the build date is on your XUV? Mine is 10/03 and seems to fall into that pre non-LUX catagory. Curious if your build date is after/post 11/03.

jsomething

May 13, 2013
For the record theres weatherstripping around the endgate and midgate. No seals on any of the panels. Ive had it all out. Everythings designed to chanell water into the body drains. With the midgate closed you can hose it out but it would end up rusting/rotting worse then a normal pickup. One of the reasons im going to bedline everything back there.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
jsomething, build date and radio, LUX? non-LUX? BRomanjr, what is your build date?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
jsomething, build date and radio, LUX? non-LUX? BRomanjr, what is your build date?
Build date on my door sticker, upper right 01/04. non-LUX.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
Ok.. so that seems to confirm the cut off date.. my build date is 10/03 from the tag on the door and I am not getting any sound from my non-LUX NAV head unit, your build date is 01/04 and it is.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online