Confused over Strange Shifts

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Over the last few weeks, I think, was feeling very harsh 1-2 shifts, softer 2-3, and normal 3-4.

I decided to check the fluid and noticed that it was at the full cold line after I had driven for a bit (less than 20 more than 5). I decided to add only a 1/4 of a qt in case I was reading it wrong. This time I drove for well over 100 miles up and down some good grades and checked again (it was still around the full cold line). This time I added the rest of the QT. Now its reading just below the Low hot line so I need to get more and add.

The thing still has hard shifts so for the heck of it I switched the ECU back to the factory one without the PCM tune. It shifts smooth as silk now.

I am confused because the Tune has been in there for 7+ years and 50K+ miles. It did have firmer shifts but I don't remember ones like this.

The Fluid:
The dealer did a flush at 50K and it now has 91K. I know I am bad and don't check the fluid religiously, but its not leaking it.

Where did 1+ qt of fluid go in 40K?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It has to be leaking someplace, because it can't disappear otherwise. Or, it was never fully filled to the line to begin with.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If you have torque or the likes check the actual temperature of the transmission. In the winter mine only creeps into the 140s so it reads low but a bit above the cold line. Once it hits upper 160s it usually ends up in the hot and then 180s is usually a bit over full. Kind of weird but it does swing alot.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.