Clicking noise in engine....fan clutch??

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
My advice would include doing the stuff that is in the coolant. Good to change at 100k anyway. Option really, all depends on $$$ and your priorities

You really want to change the water pump since it is making noise. And since the fan clutch has to come off to get to the water pump......and is ticking.

You could put off the thermostat for a while, or change it while the coolant is out. Thermostat is not as easy to get ago as in some cars. My thermostat was good for 140k, which is about how long my water pump lasted.

Pulley and tensioner are pretty easy to change. I just changed the pulley on the tensioner, not the whole thing. It started to make noise. Not too pricey.

I have a new belt for the xt, ordered wrong one. I should sell it. Guess I will have to take a photo. Perhaps tomorrow.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
I bought the parts needed to change out the water pump, coolant sensor sept belt and t-stat. Once I get em replaced ill let ya'll know how it goes.

Just wondering whats the benefit of a electric fan as to suppose to a regular fan clutch?

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
more horsepower and torque.

something to think about. if you wanted an e-fan, the time your fan clutch is shot would seem like a good time to do so.

some folks have had issues, and there are trade-offs to consider.

the fan clutch talks to the computer, so if you pull it out, you need to reprogram the computer to forget it had a fan clutch, or some other way get them compatible.

if you are not letting the computer control the fan, you have to have it controlled to match the needs of the radiator and air conditioner for fan operation.

it makes some more room, since you loose the oem fan, fan clutch, and fan shroud.

search the google for "electric fan for trailblazer", and search this site for "efan"

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online

No members online now.