Cheap hitches, balls and anything related

Ryan05 LT

Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Northwest Indiana
I'm not selling them, just a heads up for anyone looking for hitches, balls, hitch locks, trailer lights, harnesses, etc. Menards has them all and they're mostly 50-80% off. I just bought a couple.

Again, this isn't spam or anything. Just a heads up for those looking to save some money.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Will have to check it out.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I miss being in the Midwest, could find all kinds of good little deals like this. I now live in the land of coal and gas/oil, everything's jacked up just because a percentage of the population is union and therefore gets nice wages.

Back when I had to tow a UHaul to move out here, I first looked at Walmart. Anyone else who's been there knows the prices they charge on the kits.

I instead went to a store called Theisen's - hardware/farm supply store located in the Midwest, I'm not sure how many branches they have but I can confirm locations in Dubuque, IA and Maquoketa, IA so anyone near the IA border in Wisconsin or Illinois doesn't have far to go. I got a basic set (hitch, ball, pin and seven-to-four wiring adapter) for I believe around $20-25. Theisen's isn't the cheapest on a bunch of other stuff, but trailer hitches is confirmed. As a bonus, if you ever need chain, miscellaneous bolts and whatnot, they sell all that by the pound as is the norm.

I guess bigger Walmarts may carry more selection, but anything not "Supercenter" usually just has the Reese kits, running $30+ not including the harness.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
IllogicTC said:
I miss being in the Midwest, could find all kinds of good little deals like this. I now live in the land of coal and gas/oil, everything's jacked up just because a percentage of the population is union and therefore gets nice wages.

Back when I had to tow a UHaul to move out here, I first looked at Walmart. Anyone else who's been there knows the prices they charge on the kits.

I instead went to a store called Theisen's - hardware/farm supply store located in the Midwest, I'm not sure how many branches they have but I can confirm locations in Dubuque, IA and Maquoketa, IA so anyone near the IA border in Wisconsin or Illinois doesn't have far to go. I got a basic set (hitch, ball, pin and seven-to-four wiring adapter) for I believe around $20-25. Theisen's isn't the cheapest on a bunch of other stuff, but trailer hitches is confirmed. As a bonus, if you ever need chain, miscellaneous bolts and whatnot, they sell all that by the pound as is the norm.

I guess bigger Walmarts may carry more selection, but anything not "Supercenter" usually just has the Reese kits, running $30+ not including the harness.

I know how you feel with the "land of gas/oil." They are in the midst of that here too and you can see EVERYTHING is going up. Rooms are renting for $800 a month. Houses that sold for $30,000 few years ago and selling for $80,000 now. Cost of living is (was) cheap here. Steel mills closed and killed the economy here. I'm in Belmont County, Ohio. Right across from Wheeling.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
mapanch said:
I know how you feel with the "land of gas/oil." They are in the midst of that here too and you can see EVERYTHING is going up. Rooms are renting for $800 a month. Houses that sold for $30,000 few years ago and selling for $80,000 now. Cost of living is (was) cheap here. Steel mills closed and killed the economy here. I'm in Belmont County, Ohio. Right across from Wheeling.

Only about a 70-80? minute drive from me. I live near a Belmont, WV actually, also on the river. What's entertaining is I moved here from Iowa, and the further east I came the higher the gas prices were going. And this wasn't a day-to-day thing, I did a 16-hour-straight drive. Over there, 89 has ethanol while 87 and premium generally don't, and the 89 is 10 cents cheaper/gallon most times. Out here it can all have ethanol and the cheapest is 87.

Not going to argue the merits/disadvantages of octane numbers and ethanol. Just saying I guess maybe out here it's "normal" pricing.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
While I hate Wallyworld, I will take advantage of their policies if I'm getting a really low price. With that, they will match prices either online or printed. And you do NOT have to bring in the advertisement. If you get a store that tells you that you have to have the ad, ask for the name and number of the regional manager or ask for the store number you are at and the Walmart 800 number. Make sure you are writing down the name of the person you're talking with (as long as it's a Customer Service Manager, Zone Manager, Assistant Manager or store manager). Anything more than $19.99 difference has to go to one of these people.

Likely they will not give you a Playstation for $29 but they will match the prices of these hitches. If you live close enough or are ok with the shipping costs, get it from Menards. If not, Wallyworld might be an option.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
mcsteven said:
While I hate Wallyworld, I will take advantage of their policies if I'm getting a really low price. With that, they will match prices either online or printed. And you do NOT have to bring in the advertisement. If you get a store that tells you that you have to have the ad, ask for the name and number of the regional manager or ask for the store number you are at and the Walmart 800 number. Make sure you are writing down the name of the person you're talking with (as long as it's a Customer Service Manager, Zone Manager, Assistant Manager or store manager). Anything more than $19.99 difference has to go to one of these people.

Likely they will not give you a Playstation for $29 but they will match the prices of these hitches. If you live close enough or are ok with the shipping costs, get it from Menards. If not, Wallyworld might be an option.

Unfortunately, Walmart doesn't have a real formal policy system from store to store. They pretty much let each store just wing it. We've been playing the game with our local Walmart for over a year or more. Certain cashiers act like you're taking the price match directly from their wallet, and it gets pretty crazy. I price match weekly, and although its several items, I even sort them out for the cashier to make it faster and it still might be a couple bucks saving each week, not a huge deal. 90% of the cashiers fly right through it and thank us for having it all laid out to be easy for them, but every once in a while we get one that insists you have the ad. We've talked to the store manager and even written to corporate. Without fail, their store manager will call within a day or two, after being alerted by corporate his store is being complained about, they apologize, confirm the way the price match should work, which we already knew, and say they'll talk to those employees, and without fail, nothing changes.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Unfortunately, Walmart doesn't have a real formal policy system from store to store. They pretty much let each store just wing it. We've been playing the game with our local Walmart for over a year or more. Certain cashiers act like you're taking the price match directly from their wallet, and it gets pretty crazy. I price match weekly, and although its several items, I even sort them out for the cashier to make it faster and it still might be a couple bucks saving each week, not a huge deal. 90% of the cashiers fly right through it and thank us for having it all laid out to be easy for them, but every once in a while we get one that insists you have the ad. We've talked to the store manager and even written to corporate. Without fail, their store manager will call within a day or two, after being alerted by corporate his store is being complained about, they apologize, confirm the way the price match should work, which we already knew, and say they'll talk to those employees, and without fail, nothing changes.

I fully understand. I was a regional safety coordinator and as an employee, I liked to shop like I was an every day Joe. So I often used the match (the cheapskates give employees only 10% off) and I'd get the "do you have the ad?" all the time. I'd tell them you don't need the ad. Then I'd show it to them on their own printed materials right at the registers. Then I'd call a customer service manager. And if all that failed, I'd hand them my ID (being regional meant photo ID, not just the plastic clip on with stick on letters for your name). And I'd report it to the regional person in charge of policy compliance. Since they don't want to spend any money on training (takes cashiers off the registers) a lot of the stores don't bother to train. But, after leaving the company - I've also used it against them. I was at one store, looking at an external hard drive. It was on sale for about $139. A friend with me just said, in front of the cashier, "isn't that on sale at Fry's for $89.99? I thought we were going there to get it?" And I replied, "They have price match here. They'll meet the price." If it's $50 or more, the policy was (might still be) that they have to get assistant manager or above to approve. But $49.01 - that's was a go.

If you do this with other items, be careful with something like computers or TVs. Check the model numbers. HP/Compaq and a lot of others make products just for Walmart. Even the model numbers on a bunch of the computers are things like HP-Envy9501-17-WM

Good luck with it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online