Cargo Area Lighting

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I have a short wheelbase 2008. I checked out inside my rear cargo light yesterday. It takes a 212-2 style blub, which I already knew. But what I didn't know is how much space there is up in the enclosure. You could easily fit two bulbs in there if you just had some kind of bracket to hold them.

Has anyone ever messed around with this? superbrightleds has a nice warm white $5 bulb replacement. If I could fit two of them up in the fixture somehow, i'd be psyched!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
You have a couple options for the 212 cargo area lighting. I personally have a single 212 LED that has (9) 5630 chips, like in the pic below, on it and it is plenty bright enough.

s-l1600.jpg

You also have the option to use LED panels. The panel come with three connectors that you can use from a 194 base to 212 base. I think a couple members here have fit (2) LED panels in the cargo area. I believe they had to splice the wires together and only used the one 212 connector. Both are cheap options and any LED is much better than incandescent bulbs. Members have also used the LED panels in the map lights throughout the vehicle as well. @Midnyteryder196 interior is hella bright. He has to wear sunglasses at night when those things are on.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Has anyone ever messed around with this?

:crazy: Have I ever... The route I took is a bit complicated, the options @dmanns67 laid out are a great starting point for upgrading all of the dome lights. :yes:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Because I'm a great guy, I have 4 of the style that @dmanns67 posted...the first pic.

If you want to send me your address I'll send you one and won't even charge you the postage...they're damn bright.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Seems like I wasn't getting notifications for this thread. Matt do you have specs on that bulb you offered me? What color (K) are they? And do you have a lumen rating for them?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Easiest mod ever. I had ordered two of the lights I linked to from superbrightleds. I installed the first one normally. Then I was able to jam the second one basically next to the first bulb. So not in the light mount but next to it. But it firmly pressed against the clips so it lights up. And its LED so it doesn't get hot, so I won't have any melting plastic problems. So you don't have to do a damn thing, you can just force two LED bulbs up into this socket :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online