1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

Cargo Area Lighting

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by l008com, Feb 24, 2016.

1. l008com

l008com Well-Known Member

I have a short wheelbase 2008. I checked out inside my rear cargo light yesterday. It takes a 212-2 style blub, which I already knew. But what I didn't know is how much space there is up in the enclosure. You could easily fit two bulbs in there if you just had some kind of bracket to hold them.

Has anyone ever messed around with this? superbrightleds has a nice warm white $5 bulb replacement. If I could fit two of them up in the fixture somehow, i'd be psyched!

2. dmanns67

dmanns67 Well-Known Member

You have a couple options for the 212 cargo area lighting. I personally have a single 212 LED that has (9) 5630 chips, like in the pic below, on it and it is plenty bright enough.

s-l1600.jpg

You also have the option to use LED panels. The panel come with three connectors that you can use from a 194 base to 212 base. I think a couple members here have fit (2) LED panels in the cargo area. I believe they had to splice the wires together and only used the one 212 connector. Both are cheap options and any LED is much better than incandescent bulbs. Members have also used the LED panels in the map lights throughout the vehicle as well. @Midnyteryder196 interior is hella bright. He has to wear sunglasses at night when those things are on.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

littleblazer, Capote, Matt and 3 others like this.
  3. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

:crazy: Have I ever... The route I took is a bit complicated, the options @dmanns67 laid out are a great starting point for upgrading all of the dome lights. :yes:

littleblazer, dmanns67 and xavierny25 like this.
  4. Mounce

Mounce Silver Supporter

LED or bust.

Got a 24 chip 5630 panel in mine. Brighter than frig.

5. Midnyteryder196

Midnyteryder196 Well-Known Member

I have 24- 5630 panels in every spot behind the front seats.. And 2 panels in the cargo spot. :2thumbsup:

edit for picture captions..
    Top: Stock
    Middle: 10- 5050 smd 194 plug and play bulbs
    Bottom: 24-5630 smd panels

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  6. Matt

Matt Silver Supporter

Because I'm a great guy, I have 4 of the style that @dmanns67 posted...the first pic.

If you want to send me your address I'll send you one and won't even charge you the postage...they're damn bright.

xavierny25, Blckshdw and dmanns67 like this.
  7. Grimor

Grimor Well-Known Member

tbred.jpg
    There are other colors than white available....

8. xavierny25

xavierny25 Platinum Supporter

@Matt if he doesn't go that route I'd sure like to have them.:biggrin:

Matt likes this.
  9. Matt

Matt Silver Supporter

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    xavierny25 likes this.
  10. l008com

Seems like I wasn't getting notifications for this thread. Matt do you have specs on that bulb you offered me? What color (K) are they? And do you have a lumen rating for them?

11. Matt

Matt Silver Supporter

12. l008com

Yeah i'm only looking for warm white for inside anyway, so 3000K to 4000K. I don't like the look of 5000K and higher.

13. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

Sib and dmanns67 like this.
  14. Short Bus

Short Bus Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Matt, Blckshdw and dmanns67 like this.
  15. l008com

Easiest mod ever. I had ordered two of the lights I linked to from superbrightleds. I installed the first one normally. Then I was able to jam the second one basically next to the first bulb. So not in the light mount but next to it. But it firmly pressed against the clips so it lights up. And its LED so it doesn't get hot, so I won't have any melting plastic problems. So you don't have to do a damn thing, you can just force two LED bulbs up into this socket :biggrin: