Can't figure out these noises?

Jtyler77

Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Alright ive had these noises and other problems since day one. First of all I got it cheap because the previous owners didnt maintain it and it had huge power loss, noises, and hvac bugs with only 60k.

I went ahead and bought it because the motor runs smooth, it shifts through the gears good, and there is no rust. Also theres a few in my family and a neighbor has one. all are perfect with over a 100k. Just wear items here and there.

The noises are sounds like tractor when cold, whining when under load, air or loud hissing noise thats coming from pass side (I think) while under load. Only the tractor like sound when in park or neutral.

What I've done to it has helped get the power back and I fixed the ac with actuators. But the noises remain. My mechanic says its normal, but he is wrong. I will not accept that. None of the other ones I know of make these noises.

I replaced.....
Water pump and both tensioners (all had wiggle)
Catalytic converter (plugged)
Both 02 sensors
E manifold gasket (loose and broken bolts) no cracks in manifold.
Thermostat and temp sensor (running at 170ish)
Tranny flush

Ive ran it without the belt and I'm pretty sure the whine was gone.I am going to do it again though. With the belt off everything was spinning smoothly. But I did find the wiggles and replaced those parts. Also the tractor and air sound just baffles me, I cant find exhaust leaks anywhere. I wonder if it takes a while for the manifold and cat gasket to break in?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! The low thermostat temp is what probably killed the cat, but I bet you know that. If the previous owner was such a no-maintenance bum, he may have also let the transfer case go dry. It needs changing every 50K, a surprisingly short interval. But that's only a problem when you're driving.

In any event, if the noise goes away with the belt off, then suspect the PS pump, alternator, and AC compressor clutch bearing.

Jtyler77

Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
the roadie said:
Welcome! The low thermostat temp is what probably killed the cat, but I bet you know that. If the previous owner was such a no-maintenance bum, he may have also let the transfer case go dry. It needs changing every 50K, a surprisingly short interval. But that's only a problem when you're driving.

In any event, if the noise goes away with the belt off, then suspect the PS pump, alternator, and AC compressor clutch bearing.

Thank Roadie!

I was planning on putting off the tcase and diff fluids for a month or two, but I guess I better get on it. That is crazy short intervals, I usually do it every two years along with coolant.

Guess I'll use the old long screwdriver to ear trick on the belt components (not the ac though) an see if that helps.

My wife just said it sounds like her old 4cyl Cavalier when it had a small hole in the muffler. So I better look at that (again) cause she knows everything:wink:

Anyway I'm going to really focus on it next weekend when I get back in town and have a couple extra days to wrench.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
you say it sounds like a tractor, is that meaning a diesel/knocking sound or something else.
You also mention wind noise, the fan clutch is a pretty common failure item that causes it to sound kind of like an airplane or something. Mine does that when I first crank it up but does much better when warm.

Jtyler77

Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
navigator said:
you say it sounds like a tractor, is that meaning a diesel/knocking sound or something else.
You also mention wind noise, the fan clutch is a pretty common failure item that causes it to sound kind of like an airplane or something. Mine does that when I first crank it up but does much better when warm.

No it isn't knocking or ticking. It reminds me of a old Kubota tractor we had at work years ago, one with the exhaust pipe coming right out of the hood. It only makes that sound for like a minute. I first noticed it when I changed the cat (magnaflow direct fit) and had the TB up in the air with the front wheels off. It sounded like it was coming right where the cat connects to the manifold gasket. Thats when I pulled the shield and found the couple loose and one broken bolt in the manifold. I payed to have that broken one removed because I was unsuccessful at it. So my mechanic put in new bolts and gasket and the sound has quieted but still there. When I get home I'm going straight to the cat to manifold gasket and putting a wrench on it to check for tightness/uniformity.

The air sound kinda sounds like a vacuum leak on steroids. It happens when its at 2000 rpm or above in drive. You can really hear it with the window down and next to something. And it seems to be in the muffler area, however I could be wrong about the location. I know how the fan sounds when its engaged thats going to be a loud mother when it goes.

I think the wife is right it does sort have that bad or cracked muffler sound along with the other stuff. It seemed solid everywhere I checked. I didn't look at the top (obviously) or pay close attention to the backside or driver side of it now that I think about it.

Thanks Navigator, I love these tucks and cant wait to be done:cool:

Jtyler77

Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
I figure I should update this thread since it keeps getting checked out. I haven't been able to play too much because of work an getting hit with life pretty hard.

I'm thinking I have it figured out. The whine sound I'm fairly certain is the ps pump. It sounds a little grindy with the ole screwdriver to ear. I have been changing the fluid with a baster and the noise has been reduced. Its not what I would call normal ps pump symptoms though, it dont make any noise whatsoever when turning wheels in park or change in tone when driving an turning. Just consistent whine when accelerating. Hmmm.

As for the tractor-ish noise and the hissing. I dont think its getting a good cat to muffler seal. There wasn't a gasket there nor can I find one made for it, but I did find one with the same bolt pattern and pipe size I'm gonna try. And I've been reading another thread thats leading me to believe the hissing is that stupid trash can. So thats gotta go too.

Other than that, she's strong and I will post the results once I have a chance to get out there do it to it.

Jtyler77

Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
The tractor and hissing noise I complained of turned out to be the muffler. I changed it to a walker sound fx and resonator and its gone. I tried with just the resonator delete and it still had all the noise and I didnt like the note without it. I also put a gasket in the muffler to cat connection.

The whine noise is very diminished almost cant hear it at all. I just kept pulling ps fluid every 100 miles with a baster and replaced. I've done 4 qts worth and will stop at 6. I know I will just change the pump eventually but for now, all is good and the silence is priceless.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online