can I add blutooth to my stock 03 radio

chevy

Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
I have a stock 03 trailblazer without onstar or xm just a cd player can I make it so I can have my phone go through the radio thanks

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
If your asking if you can use use your phone hands free for calls, that function is part of Onstar and, I think you would need a module from an '08 or newer. and, you would also need the Onstar mirror.
If your asking if you can bluetooth so that your music will play on the radio, that is a radio function and I don't think any Trailblazer/Envoy radio has that feature.

chevy

Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
What is the aux button for is there a adspter I could plug into yhe aux port thanks

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
If you have the Bose head unit you can't add anything to it.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
For about $200 you can buy an adapter (so you keep your steering wheel controls) and a Nakamichi radio. Check out Crutchfield.com. I've bought from them more than once. They are a very reputable company.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The AUX button doesn't do anything. IF the truck had a sat radio option, it would have a BAND button instead of the AM/FM button.

You can add a hard wired FM modulator that will work. I added one to mine for Sirius that works like a charm.

chevy

Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
I dont have steering controls or the bose unit so I cant add a aux adapter I dont see any holes on the face plate us there one on the back

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
It CAN'T be done without using a wired FM modulator. There are no AUX ports in the back of the radio, that's why you have to use a modulator.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
There are two types of FM modulator's. One type broadcasts a signal to your radio and the second type is plugged in between the radio and the antenna. Both types are lousy. You can pick up a wireless transmitter for anywhere from seven to about $50. A wired modulator will run about $20. Depending on your budget, a new radio will be a much better option. If you don't need an adapter to keep the steering wheel controls (since you don't have the steering wheel controls) and you don't have the Bose unit, a new radio would run anywhere from $59 and up. As I mentioned earlier, you can get a Nakamichi, or a Pioneer or a Kenwood stereo that would include all of the latest features such as MP3 disc playback, Bluetooth, auxiliary input, and more for under $200. I know everybody's budgets can be tight during a tighter economy.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
mcsteven said:
There are two types of FM modulator's. One type broadcasts a signal to your radio and the second type is plugged in between the radio and the antenna. Both types are lousy.
Is that first hand experience talking? I have a hard wired one for Sirius and it sounds great and I haven't had any problems with it. If you actually had a hardwired one and it was bad, then I can only imagine it was a defective unit.

They are not hard to install at all. Depending on what you want to do with it and the quality you want would dictate the price. The isimple are very good, but they carry a price tag...http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_f757-2927_i128_fm-modulators.html

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Matt said:
Is that first hand experience talking? I have a hard wired one for Sirius and it sounds great and I haven't had any problems with it. If you actually had a hardwired one and it was bad, then I can only imagine it was a defective unit.
Yes, it is first-hand experience. I've had three or four different brands of wired and two or three of the wireless FM modulator's. The absolute best sound you'll get will be no better than a radio broadcast. Compare your radio against your CD player and you'll hear a world of difference.

I don't work for Crutchfield nor do I have any investments or have friends or relatives that work there. I put up these links as an example. I have had multiple purchases from this company and every one of them has been a great experience.

This is a JVC with Bluetooth for $100:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX310B/JVC-KD-X310BT.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBluetooth_Hands_Free_Calling%7cBuilt-in

Here's a Blaupunkt, double DIN, with Bluetooth, USB and aux connector for $180:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_023NJ220BT/Blaupunkt-New-Jersey-220.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBluetooth_Hands_Free_Calling%7cBuilt-in&nvpair=AG_Size%7cFFDouble%40DIN

Again, I know these might not fit into everyone's budget. But the OP asked about adding Bluetooth which is not possible. The great thing about Bluetooth versus FM modulator is that with a Bluetooth microphone you never have to take the phone out of your pocket to play music or use the phone.

Reactions: Matt

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I've used both wireless and hardwired FM modulators in my TB and honestly I didn't like either.
Wireless isn't that great for obvious reasons, and the hardwired one was just too much of a hack for my liking (plus as stated before, quality is only as good as FM radio).

I finally got an Alpine CDE-W235BT (for $130-something from Crutchfield) and couldn't be happier.
It has Bluetooth, CD, aux input, USB input, and even a clock.
Bluetooth quality from my phone is nearly as flawless as having the aux cable plugged in, and the external mic sounds great according to the people I have called on it.

I will vouch for getting a new head unit any day of the week.
My buddy has a Blazer and decided to buy all kinds of the PAC-AAI units or whatever they're called to add aux inputs and RCA outputs, and the audio quality is still mediocre at best, yet he's paid nearly as much as I did for a whole new head unit.

Another benefit of a new head unit is you get a chime with a volume adjustment. That sold me on it, honestly.
The OEM chime is just waaaay too loud.

Reactions: mcsteven

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.