Brush Guard and MPGs

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Hey everyone!! Thinking of adding a Hunter brush guard to my TB. My main concern is if the brush guards have a good impact on MPGs...due to their weight. Also, if anyone has any brands that are decent that won't break the bank, it would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have a brush guard on my Prius and get the same gas mileage :blinkhuh:

With a roughly 3ton vehicle, adding or subtracting that minimal amount of weight will not make a difference.

I installed heavier wheels/tires on the TB and seen no change in MPG. Installed a brush guard and nerf bars on the wife's F150 and seen no change.

Just Do it :2thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Wife's F150 has Westin brush guard and nerf bars. They are about 11 years old and are holding up well. The only thing I replaced was some of the mounting hardware last year. Some of the nuts and bolts were rusting. Other than that, no issues.

I would just start by figuring out what style brush guard you like, figure out how many manufacturers make that style, and then do a price comparison as well as reading consumer reviews :twocents:

Semborski

Apr 1, 2014
I got a steelcraft for about $350 shipped brand new from autoanything. Just sign up for their newsletter and wait for a 15% off deal. It didn't do any noticeable change in mpgs, at least not more than dynapro's did.

BC backroader

Sep 6, 2014
Semborski said:
I got a steelcraft for about $350 shipped brand new from autoanything. Just sign up for their newsletter and wait for a 15% off deal. It didn't do any noticeable change in mpgs, at least not more than dynapro's did.
Please elaborate on that last comment about the Dynapros. Did they improve, or decrease fuel mileage? Those are what my truck came with, so I'm interested in your experience.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Brushguard will have a bigger affect on MPG due to aerodynamics than weight. They are also crappy for offroad since they lower your approach angle

I HATED my Hunter brushguard. Chinese crap that vibrated and rusted. Cheap and looked ok for a bit, but wish someone would have told me.

There was one brand that mounted through the front bumper plastic and allowed it to not hinder the offroad aspects, but I dont think they have been around for a few years. You might be able to find something on CL if you really want a brush guard, but I would highly advise getting something like MDB Fab bumper kit and have it welded up since you have been offroading some and seem to want to continue down that road. It will cost a bit more but will not need replaced like you will likely want if you get a brushguard and then want a bumper as you keep into the lifting and offroading n such you have posted about lately.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Yeah Kyle, I have done more trail driving than anything. Nothing extreme at all. But, I do enjoy being in the outdoors and driving. Since it's winter, my off-road fun will come to a slow...working in a cold garage isn't fun. I'm trying to put together a list of what the best products are, so I can start building come springtime. Thanks for your input on the brush guard. I will look into custom fab then. Sucks Ranch Hand doesn't make a set up for our platform, I really like those.
Anyways, thanks for your input. [emoji4][emoji106]

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
I've lost track of my MPG's, I know they are terrible but my rig does what I want it to now. I also don't daily drive it anymore, my Legacy gets high 20's.

I agree with Hardtrailz, contact Barton and get a steel bumper kit. I scooped up one second hand and couldn't believe the quality and craftsmanship he put into them. When you combine the radiator and oil skids the whole front of your truck will be well protected.

Semborski

Apr 1, 2014
BC backroader said:
Please elaborate on that last comment about the Dynapros. Did they improve, or decrease fuel mileage? Those are what my truck came with, so I'm interested in your experience.
Sorry I have not been on in a while. I like them because I live in the frozen tundra of Duluth, MN. They aren't that good for the ice but incredible in snow or mud, which is awesome because the roads are either one or the other year round. I did notice a drop in fuel milage maybe 30 Miles per tank, but that is with addition to the brush guard.

BC backroader

Sep 6, 2014
Thanks fot the reply, Semborski. I like them on my truck, as well, but I plan to go bigger after I install the lift kit, up to about 31 or 32", and will probably go to a slightly more aggressive tread.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online