bouncing

obodude71

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Hello,

I just purchased a 2005 LT and noticed it bounces around a lot while driving. This could actually be normal for this vehicle but I would like to make sure. This happens when going through curves and rough roads. Not sure if it matter but I have the I6 engine.

Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's not normal. Welcome!

How many miles? Do you have any service records? Did you have it checked by a mechanic before purchase?

Most likely shocks, but you could have all sorts of loose suspension parts (ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, even mounting bolts for any of those parts, which is huge danger!) that should be checked out ASAP by a mechanic if you're not into DIY stuff. Could even be a disconnected front anti-sway bar.

For new purchasers, also check and replace as needed ALL fluids, including the transfer case if you have a 4WD and no service records. The fluid change interval is a surprisingly short 50K miles. Plugs and O2 sensor at 100K, along with the differentials and transmission.

obodude71

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Thanks for the reply Roadie,

The truck has 93000 miles and was purchased from a dealership with a 30 day warranty. I don’t have any service records so will defiantly change all fluids. I will also check for lose linkage, sway bar and shocks. The bouncing isn’t drastic, more like floating on air so I was hoping it was normal.

obodude71

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Yes, it is 4WD. the HVAC and all lights work fine. I haven’t moved the selector switch from 2WD yet. my options are 2WD 4WD-hi 4WD-lo and 4WD. this is my first vehicle with 4WD other than a 1960 series II that I had so I wanted to do some research before checking the transfer case options.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
FWIW my 02 had a similar feeling in the back when I got it at 112k miles, not so much the front. Found the rear shocks were originals while fronts had been replaced with sensatracs. The following spring/summer I installed new Bilstein HD on all 4 corners and it got rid ofthe bounciness.

Stock shocks are Bilsteins but are basic ones. I would bet that they could use replaced.

For the 4x4, use 2WD normally, stick in 4HI if conditions warrant it. Most of us here don't like the A4WD option because of the way it functions. A little jarring when it engages and it is a little hard on itself.

obodude71

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Wow, a lot of great info. Thanks for all the help. I plan on replacing the shocks and all fluids this weekend, and of course I have one without a drain plug on the rear Diff... oh-well, thanks again!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I had a bounce or floaty feeling too. Replaced the rear shocks with Bilstein HD's and found the right rear shock to be bad. Almost no resistance during the first half of its travel. Shocks are pretty easy to replace on the TB/Voy but struts are a different matter.

obodude71

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
just as a recap I got two Bilstein HD's from Summit yesterday and installed them in the rear. this is a very easy job, didn't even need to jack off the truck (May03LT). tomorrow I will change front and rear differentials with mobile 75/90 and auto trak 2 for the transfer case. thanks again for all the help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macicg65

Members Online