Blinking lights on my 4x4 Switch

BrownHP800

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Hello. I have a 2002 TB. This morning when I started it up I noticed that the light above the 2wd was blinking. No service light on or anything. If I change modes, the light above that mode just blinks. It does not appear to switch modes. I can not hear the actuator moving and it does not go into 4 low.

Just some info, it has been sitting for about a week and I went to start it yesterday and it the battery was dead. I do think it's about shot. I put it on charge for a few hours last night and it started right up this morning but had the light.

I read different reports, some say it's because the battery is low which would that do it even if it is running and charging at 14v? Some say its the switch. Some say the actuator itself.

Where do I start?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I had that on my 02 on occasion later in its life. I had already replaced the buggy TCCM with one from an 05 so that shouldn't have been it. If it was an actuator or encoder they would have thrown lights or errors, but never did. I replaced the switch with a new one and never had it happen again, although that said it was very sporadic and only happened on occasion so I can't say with 100% certainty that's what it was. The switch was a cheap thing though, and the older ones could wear funny, so, it isn't a big deal to replace.

Reactions: Mooseman

BrownHP800

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Strange thing is after I parked it and came back out and started it again, all is well. It goes into all modes, etc. My guess is that the switch is starting to be a little flaky. I will keep an eye on it and maybe just order a new one as PM. Easy enough to replace that part. They say the switches that still say 2HI 4HI, etc are problematic (which is what I have) and that the switches with the up and down arrows are much better.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
how often are you "exercising" your shift motor? IF you don't do it regularly then the contacts associated with its position may have an issue which the controller then has a problem determining what "drive" you are in, hence the possible flashing lights. My bet is you need to clean and / or exercise the motor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine did that too, a while later it was fine. Then randomly would go weird again.

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Strange thing is after I parked it and came back out and started it again, all is well. It goes into all modes, etc. My guess is that the switch is starting to be a little flaky. I will keep an eye on it and maybe just order a new one as PM. Easy enough to replace that part. They say the switches that still say 2HI 4HI, etc are problematic (which is what I have) and that the switches with the up and down arrows are much better.

Mine flashed a couple years ago and I got nervous turned the vehicle off and haven't saw it again to this day

May 22, 2012
My 2002 envoy will do this once in awhile as well. When the light is flashing put the transmission in neutral. after a few seconds the light is stay steady.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude