Bilsteins a harsh ride? Suggestions please for strut/shocks all around.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi All,
Going to do some mild suspension work soon. I want to add Just a slight lift in the front to level things out. Will be staying with stock tire size for now but may go slightly oversize in next tire cycle. I do a little off road where I need 4 X 4 in the sand washes to get into some hiking and camping spots. Will the Bilsteins be too harsh of a ride overall? Also, I do some occasional towing of an 18 ft boat, approx. 3500 lbs. with trailer. Thanks for any input on this. Cam (c good)

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't think it is harsh at all. Firmer that stock, yeah, but not harsh.

Of course I'm also comparing it with my Camaro that has worn out suspension. THAT is a bit harsh :biggrin:

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
I love them. Not harsh at all, just firmer and more controlled. Even my wife loves the ride now. You'll be happy with them.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
The HD's work well in my XL which is a bit heavier. I would characterize them as not harsh at all. Yes, more controlled or even a tad sporty if there is such a description for a 5000 lb SUV.

They are practically a necessity for towing my 5000 lb trailer.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I changed out my OEMs at 9K miles for the Bilsteins and loved them. Let me know if you only need a small lift in the front, because I have left-over lift parts like crazy. And the tools. Bring beer. :thumbsup:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Bigger tires will put a bit more stress on drivetrain components, consider your towing.

it all works together. nothing for free. your mileage may vary.

xOgrex

Sep 17, 2012
If i were going to buy Bilstein, would you guys recommend a site? Or should I just go with what I find through Google?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
shockwarehouse.com

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
xOgrex said:
Thank you. That was the first result on Google too.

i put bilstein hd's on my 04 Rainier.. and it has def improved the ride some.

Just a note if you plan on installing these yourself.. be carefull when trying to get bottom yoke off DO Not hammer or accidently hammer the bolt near bottom of yolk. If you damage threads you will have to either replace the hole control arm or do what i did that i do not recoomend but is holding up grab your sawzaw and trim bolt until nut catches

Good luck and good ridin

TheBad

Dec 4, 2011
xOgrex said:
If i were going to buy Bilstein, would you guys recommend a site? Or should I just go with what I find through Google?

I got mine from eshocks a couple of weeks ago.

Guano

Jan 4, 2012
Ignore all... Sweet talk Roadie out of his above roadiemobile tent & there you go...
Hd's are a great additon. Oem is soft Crap No regrets ...if I have made any mods....
which I Deny...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online