Bilstein HD shocks with Mark's 3in lift?

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey everyone,

Just got Mark's new 3" lift/level spacers. I have pretty new Bilstein HDs in the rear, less then 5K on them. I was wondering if they will work or if they will be too short.

current setup is the rough counrty 2" POS steel spacer in the front (which is rusting pretty bad) and the (crushed) 3/4" rubber spacer in the rear.

i'll post pics of the old spacers when they come out this weekend.

Here is the truck with 30.5s before the 265/70/17 (31.6)...
IMG_1067.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Be short for much more than cruising around town likely.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They are fine around town and general uneven terrain, but like Kyle said they are too short for anything serious. I've been running my Bilsteins without issue around town since I lifted a year ago because like you I already had them, but if I was going to do anything off road much (or getting new shocks when lifting) I'd get longer Bilsteins or other longer shocks (I think Skyjacker has some, BDS, etc).

smt 59

By the looks of your ride which looks very nice by the way they will be fine as you will not be climbing and rock wall or taking it in the bush. There is enough travel on the shaft to allow for a minor lift such as yours. I did the same on mine and it is fine.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Very sexy rig bro

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
While most of these are posed shots, just because it cleans up nice doesn't mean its a mall crawler... I never claimed to be a hardcore wheeler. This is my daily driver, and does what I need it to on the weekends and after work. It doesn't see too many extreme conditions but it sees plenty of trails and is setup to do just that. If there is an area that is too closed up with trees and branches ill find another way through before dragging it through a tight trail, don't get me wrong it has plenty of memories scratched into the clearcoat that just don't show up on camera too well; its amazing what some nufinish and turtle wax ice can do.

Thanks for the info..I ordered the longer silver body bilsteins yesterday, and the HDs will be given away to a friend with a stock TB

with that said, I ran into some hurdles installing the new lift... I'll post that in a different section later tonight.

Reactions: dmanns67 and Capote
Aug 21, 2014
Not to thread jack but I figured I'd ask here instead of making a new topic. I have the MarkMc 3'' kit too which I haven't installed yet due to me needing shocks. I'm really only lifting to get extra clearance for the massive snow storms we get here. I don't offroad unless you consider the fact that you won't see pavement for the entire winter, offroading. Would the Blistein HDs be ok?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The HDs are best struts for front w lift but the any stock length shock in the rear, HD or white body or whatever, is less than optimal.

MikeyDENVOY

Jan 9, 2015
Hey Im new to GMT... I'm gonna be installing MarkMC 3" lift as well. Trying to decide what shocks to go with for the front and rear when I install it. I hear a lot of talk about Bilstein HD shocks for the front. Does anyone who has installed these have the model number or link for them? are they the 4600 series? Also, what would be best for the rear?

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Does rancho make a shock with comparable length to the skyjacker ?. Im planning a two in lift in the rear and Id like the most durable shock with the softest ride. I mostly do highway driving and want a soluiton that is best suited for pot holes and winter driving.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am sure they do. I had Skyjacker and switched to Rough Country. I like em better.

Keep in mind that about all the "white body" shocks are the same minus the decals stuck on them.

Reactions: paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
The Skyjacker® N8030 - Rear NITRO N8000 Series Shock advertises a 26.2 in extended length.

That is the longest advertized I can find and they specifically state it is for 2-3" body lifts.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I called a seller of the Skyjacker N8030 and he said that Skyjacker does not make a shock for the Trailblazer.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
paul2005tb said:
I called a seller of the Skyjacker N8030 and he said that Skyjacker does not make a shock for the Trailblazer.
Right but all you need are a bunch of 7/16" washers to shim the lower mount with. Compare the stock shock body with the N8030 and all that is missing is that built in spacer.

One guy cut the spacers off his stock shocks and used them instead. Same idea. Just taking up the space so that the shock doesn't slide back and forth in the wider mount area.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Thank you. Greatly appreciated.

Is there any real difference between the Rancho and the Skyjacker rear shocks ?

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Im going to go with the skyjackers. Great value and the longest stock shock on the market.

I am now debating:

1) rear 2" lift kit or

2) change out the rear coil springs to the Chevy Tahoe z71 springs.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The choice of OEM or Z71 springs should be made first, since they need to be matched (stiff springs, more damping in the shocks) to avoid feeling under- or over-damped. And the choice of springs is usually done by seeing if the load you expect to carry on the trails, and the nature of the trails, demands the higher spring rate (stiffness) of the Z71's, and the longer effective travel you'll get. Spacer lifts on OEM springs increase neither.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Great, Im going with the Z71s .

How would you rate the BDS 95619 shock compared to the skyjacker ? Is it safe to say that all of these 50$ shocks are equal ?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Pretty much all the white body shocks are the same. Different stickers is about the extent of the difference.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Oh wait,

1) the z71 gives me the longer effective travel, very important.

and

2) it gives me lift that I want, that also is important

... that is two big positives...But..

3) the z71s give a stiffer ride than I want, a net negative.

two positives and one negative, .. you cant always get exactly what you want.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIY Professional

Members Online