Best amp for Polk DB6501 and DB651

noxious1

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
I am probably driving you guys nuts with this install but I really want to get it right the first time around. I have not had much time to get it all done and am just getting around to doing the door speakers. I am finding some great info on how to run the wires and crossovers and just about everything else to do the actual install. I am perplexed on what amp to use for the door speakers. I am wanting to use a 4 channel Cerwin Vega amp. I know that the DB6501 drivers are rated at 100 watts rms and 300 watts max and the 651 are rated at 60 watts rms and 180 watts max. I am looking at the following amps
Model: VEGA500.4
MAX Power: 250W x 4 @ 2Ω
RMS Power: 125W x 4 @ 2Ω

and

Model: HED600.4
MAX Power: 150W x 4 @ 2Ω
RMS Power: 75W x 4 @ 2Ω

Am I correct the by wiring 1 speaker to one channel it will remain a 4 ohm load? I would like to keep it at a 4 ohm load for sound quality. Also both of these amps are 2 ohm amps will that matter? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

noxious1

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
I had another thought. Do I need to amp the door speakers? I am running a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD built in 50x4 mosfet amp.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
noxious1 said:
I am probably driving you guys nuts with this install but I really want to get it right the first time around. I have not had much time to get it all done and am just getting around to doing the door speakers. I am finding some great info on how to run the wires and crossovers and just about everything else to do the actual install. I am perplexed on what amp to use for the door speakers. I am wanting to use a 4 channel Cerwin Vega amp. I know that the DB6501 drivers are rated at 100 watts rms and 300 watts max and the 651 are rated at 60 watts rms and 180 watts max. I am looking at the following amps
Model: VEGA500.4
MAX Power: 250W x 4 @ 2Ω
RMS Power: 125W x 4 @ 2Ω

and

Model: HED600.4
MAX Power: 150W x 4 @ 2Ω
RMS Power: 75W x 4 @ 2Ω

Am I correct the by wiring 1 speaker to one channel it will remain a 4 ohm load? I would like to keep it at a 4 ohm load for sound quality. Also both of these amps are 2 ohm amps will that matter? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

They should be 4 ohms speakers. So those amps rated at 2 ohms will put out half the power at 4 ohms. Yes, 1 speaker per channel will give you a 4 ohm load.

noxious1 said:
I had another thought. Do I need to amp the door speakers? I am running a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD built in 50x4 mosfet amp.

You don't need the amp, but the sound quality might be better. I say that because I'm not a fan of cerwin vega (or polk for that matter).

I haven't been in the car audio game for quite some time, so I don't know who's making good quality car audio these days. Back in my day Polk was crap. I do know Cerwin Vega was a great brand back when Vanilla Ice was rappin about how his Vegas go boom.

noxious1

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
This is the first time that I have used Polk. I purchased them because of recommendations from this site. I know if I only run one amp it would be a little easier on my stock electrical system. Cerwin Vega has came a long way. I heard some of the stroker series subs and they sounded really clear with great low bass. The amps seem to have really good reviews and are rated along the same lines of Kicker. I think I am going to hook the speakers up to my head unit and see how they sound. If it seems like they are lagging in performance then I will add the amp. Thanks for the input.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
noxious1 said:
If it seems like they are lagging in performance then I will add the amp.

If it ends up getting an amp, I vote for the 500.4.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online