Belt tensioner 4.2 I6 question

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Tons of parts to replace not nuff time and money to fix at once lol. In a ever exhausting attempt to narrow this can of marbles sound in the front of my engine, i had a friend turn the wheel left and right while running and it seems theres way too much movement in a up and down with the belt tensioner. wish i can record a vid and post . it almost seems that noise is coming from there. ONLY happens when the wheel is being tuned . theres no whine like you would see and hear with a failing power steering pump. when the wheel is straight its fine.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Take the belt off, spin all pulleys by hand. Also move the tensioner back and forth and feel through your breaker bar/ratchet/whatever how the tensioner moves, whether it catches or feels rough as you move it.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I can tell ya right now with 2005 you will need a new belt tensioner and idler pulley if they never have been replaced.

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
I can tell ya right now with 2005 you will need a new belt tensioner and idler pulley if they never have been replaced.

Mine are doing fine. (knock on wood)

Yeah, check it out but I wouldn't worry about it.

In the old days, you'd put tension on the belt and tighten it - solid.
They could still do that but they put a spring loaded tensioner in - I'd imagine so it can flex and lower the stress on the belt.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
can of marbles sounds to me like a water pump. (unless your marbles are small, then could be a pulley)

I have over 140k on my 03, and just changed the pulley on my tensioner. idler pulley is still fine, and the tension part of the tensioner is ok too.

I like the "pull off the belt and rotate by hand" advice.

when i did this it was obviouse the pulley had issues.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Black LT said:
Yeah, check it out but I wouldn't worry about it.

Until the drivebelt falls off and then your up shit creek stranded in the middle of god knows where.

Just replace it. Its pretty much a cheap preventative maintenance item like changing the 02 sensor or serpentine belt every 100k miles. The manual wont tell you this, only experience with others tb's and envoys will lead you to this fact.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online