Badge overlays

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ok this has been bugging me I want some badge overlays and I will also be changing the bowties but I can not set myself on a color I'm really torn between black and red. I have the white ss with red calipers now and possibly about to p.c the rims flat to low gloss black so what is your thoughts I need something to push me to one side or the other because I have been staring at motor city vinyls page for about 2 days now

05+ Trailblazer SS Badge Overlays - Motor City Vinyl Graphics

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Do you have a picture of the truck you can put up? Sometimes a picture helps us. But I think that a black SS and bowtie would look awesome!!! Usually black emblems look the best IMO! I feel like the red is too out there and wont really fit in very well. Hope that helps!!

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
I would suggest taking the badge off painting it the color you want and if needed try other color to see which you like best. If you are even a little good at painting you may not need to buy overlay, but either way you can see it on your truck before you buy the overlays.

JPZ

Dec 4, 2011
I use cheap contact paper and paint it black then cut it out. It is only 5.50 for a 24ft roll at Walmart. Here is a pic of a yellow painted one I did as a how to on TV. I used yellow because the black blends in. It is cheap and can be changed cheap. The black paint usually last a year or more.
View attachment 16839

View attachment 16840

Attachments

• IMG_4753.jpg
    IMG_4753.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4758.jpg
    IMG_4758.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 158

JPZ

Dec 4, 2011
This is white contact shelf paper painted black. I just tuched it up and has been for a year and a half.
View attachment 16841

Sorry a little hard to see I was having trouble loading the a different pic. This will at least give you a different idea for the front. If you can try to cut it out for the SS too and see what you like better then buy it from them.

Attachments

• carlisleornot.jpg
    carlisleornot.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I may be a little partial to red and white

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wow that's a great look for $5 can't beat it

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yeahhhh.....Good thing I have like 700feet of that paper because I dont really have it down yet lol I will get it

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
I'm thinking of doing this mod myself. Does anyone know how this contact paper holds up to the elements? I was thinking of doing the front and back bowties back.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
woody79 said:
I'm thinking of doing this mod myself. Does anyone know how this contact paper holds up to the elements? I was thinking of doing the front and back bowties back.

It probably won't hold up for long... Using the contact paper is just a temporary means of seeing if you really like a certain color. Once you know what you like, remove the bowties and give them a proper coat of paint.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
It probably won't hold up for long... Using the contact paper is just a temporary means of seeing if you really like a certain color. Once you know what you like, remove the bowties and give them a proper coat of paint.

Makes sense. So is there any special type of paint to use?

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
woody79 said:
Makes sense. So is there any special type of paint to use?

Once you figure out what color to commit to, sand the bowtie with a really fine grit sandpaper. Then hit it with a plastic adhesion promoting primer. For paint I would do 'Dupli-color' brand in a rattle can. Hit it with a couple nice even coats. Then do 2 or 3 coats of clear coat on top and you'll be all set to reinstall. Use a shoe box or other piece of cardboard to paint with. Just jam the bowtie into it and then use paper clips and string to hang the cardboard vertically so you aren't painting on a flat surface. The key is patience- follow the recommended dry times in between coats of paint and clearcoating. Good luck!

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I hit mine with nite-shades, so I just washed it with some soapy water and hit it lightly with some 600-grit sandpaper. It doesn't take much of anything special for the badges, just a clean surface so the paint doesn't flake off again later.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
This is one of my next mods for sure :tongue: it makes it stand out, Now I wonder which colour would go best with my TB, probably red :S

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Regulator said:
Looks good, but I bet it would look even better with a red center and black outer ring/

:iagree: Swapping the color positions would make it a bit more noticable.

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
I tried that. Looked chintzy. All one color looks cheap IMO too.

This is exactly the same as the red bowtie on all sorts of 90's/00's Chevy performance stuff.

Small black outline, red bowtie, black center.

bigredtank

Nov 21, 2011
niiice. i did mine about a year ago. imma need to do it again here real soon. i only put two coats of black and no clear coat so its all weird and cracked some now. thinking or matching the BRT red to the bowtie. see what that looks like. its not like i cant dip it in paint thinner and do it again if i dont like it.:biggrin:

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
groundshock said:
View attachment 2056

How about a little Chevy red bowtie?

I really like that! I have the same color. Can you remove the bowtie w/out takeing anyting else apart? My cross bar has a couple small cracks from the po and I don't want to break it takeing it off...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like the red

JPZ

Dec 4, 2011
That looks great I wouldn't change it. My contact paper lasts a year to two. The one on it now is two years old. it has some rock chips in the paint but it holds up well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online