Bad ground on tow harness

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I was having troubles with the lighting on a trailer I borrowed, and through experience I know that it's pretty much always a ground issue. I was surprised to fin in my troubleshooting that it was not the trailer, but rather my 9-7x. Here's how I fixed it, sorry no pictures.

The connector removes from its bracket by pushing in a small button and twisting, you can then pull it out a little. That gave me enough clearance to find a clip on the side and pull the wiring loom off. As soon as I did, I could see a nice bit of corrosion on the ground connection. I took a small file to it and cleaned it up and then applied di-electric grease to all the connections on reassembly. Perfect lighting now!

Troubleshooting aside, it was a pretty painless fix, hope it helps someone else out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, I hate trailer wiring. Always something not working and usually it's on the trailer. Dielectric grease is a wonderful thing. Thanks for sharing.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Same thing happened to me when I pulled my camper for the first time with my TB. Never an issue with the pickup truck, so I knew the trailer was good and started in on the TB. Found the exact thing you did - corroded ground pin inside the Bargman plug.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online