Anyone Have a Golf Cart?

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
I've mentioned it before, but for those who don't know me, I was a golf cart mechanic at a course for several years, and I still take on work for individuals when I'm home. I was just wondering if anyone else on here has a golf cart of their own, whether it be for golfing or for use around your property or farm, or just simply a neighborhood cruiser. They're great fun to mod, you can do just about anything you do to a vehicle to a golf cart, whether it be lifted or lowered or gas or electric.

I myself have a lifted Club Car on 36 volts with a built motor and a 550 amp controller. I also just built a 48 volt cart running a stock 36 volt motor, which I left low to the ground. The torque in it is awesome, and it's actually a little more fun than my lifted cart to drive, and is just as fast. (low 20 MPH range on flat ground, you think that's slow until you get on a cart and do it) My next plans for my personal lifted cart are to go 48 volt when the 36 volt batteries die in several years, and upgrade to an alltrax programmable controller. I'll feed that through the current built motor and hopefully be seeing in the low 30 MPH range, and if the torque is really good then I'll sacrifice some of it for speed by going from the stock 12.4:1 gears to 8:1 gears. In the words of Ricky Bobby "I wanna go fast!"

View attachment 33639

I am on Buggiesgonewild.com, that's the GMTN of golf cart forums, it's THE place to be. I have a build thread over there for mine, but I won't link it because you have to be a member to see my pics. Anyhow, if you've got a golf cart or are even thinking about getting one, or just wanna see what can be done to one and what the hype is about, I suggest checking it out over there and definitely share here. I'm 93yellowclubcar (I know, SUPER original :rotfl: ) there, and it'd be great to see you over there as well as here!

Attachments

• CC2.jpg
    CC2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 6

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have two golf carts at work. I will have to post pics tomorrow night.

One is nice, chrome wheels and a top speed of 30mph when the batteries are fully charged (clocked it in the parking lot driving next to a guy in his truck).

The other one is... Lets say it gets me around :rotfl:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I have been looking around for a good used gas cart. I am particular to the Yamahas. I beat the piss out of one years ago and it just wouldn't die. Anyway, I need one for hauling crap around my property. I haven't found anything cheap enough for me yet!:biggrin:

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Ghoster said:
I have been looking around for a good used gas cart. I am particular to the Yamahas. I beat the piss out of one years ago and it just wouldn't die. Anyway, I need one for hauling crap around my property. I haven't found anything cheap enough for me yet!:biggrin:

I used to have an old electric Yamaha, I paid $100 for it, kept the $300 charger that came with it, and traded out for about $400 worth of supplies and parts for the build of my personal cart. The gas ones are good carts, and there's a guy who makes a kit with upgraded clutches and some other stuff like a high flow filter that is just for Yamaha's, I think his business is called Plowman's Carts. Of all the gas carts, you can get the wildest performance out of a stock Yamaha. :thumbsup:

Midnyteryder02 said:
i personally dont have a cart, but i customized one of my buddies last winter/spring..

View attachment 21211

That is cool! Looks like a gas Club Car DS frame, but is that a PT Cruiser front end kit on it?

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Envoy_04; said:
That is cool! Looks like a gas Club Car DS frame, but is that a PT Cruiser front end kit on it?

It is gas. And I'm pretty sure it is a 95 club car ds. It is a pt cruiser front end on it..

It has a new dash kit, a stereo, tinted windshield, and led "fog" lights, which are just 2" round marker lights, but still looks pretty cool.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Yes sir, I own two actually.
A green 2004 Club Car Precedent and a somewhat rare factory red gas 1995 Club Car DS.
Both have beige roof/seat color scheme, windshield, mirrors, and ultimate light kit.
I'd like to get my Precedent lifted in the future and throw in a PlumQuick Bandit, but that project is on the back burner for now.
(These picture show a good before/after of the corn showing up)

6d273651c354ff3956ee5cc799d65755.png

8e93a7354d210047ec6475374e278a83.png

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Ghoster said:
Gas carts seem to be pretty much indestructible from my experience. I'm not sure if Yamaha makes utility carts, but Club Car makes the "Carryall"- basically a cart with a dump bed:
View attachment 33647

If you're looking for a deal, find a dead gas cart. Gas carts are relatively simple to fix up as long as it's in once piece. It's just a proprietary lawnmower, basically.
My gas Club Car (pictured in my previous post) saw the bottom of a lake, thanks to its previous owner. I got the cart for free (it was dead), spent about $600 on paint, engine rebuild, carb, solenoid, battery, and new window and it runs just fine.
Can you say "show me the cartfax"? :rotfl:

But don't let me convince you out of electric.
Electric carts are much much less maintenance, cheaper to operate, quieter, and in my case; my electric cart is faster and more powerful than my gas one.
They're easy to fix only if you know what you're doing, so I wouldn't recommend taking on a dead electric cart.
Just keep looking, you'll find something.

Attachments

• 1301302450_181800267_3-2006-Clubcar-Carryall-gas-Uitility-golf-Cart-Everything-Else.jpg
    1301302450_181800267_3-2006-Clubcar-Carryall-gas-Uitility-golf-Cart-Everything-Else.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 31

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
gpking said:
Gas carts seem to be pretty much indestructible from my experience. I'm not sure if Yamaha makes utility carts, but Club Car makes the "Carryall"- basically a cart with a dump bed:
View attachment 21214

If you're looking for a deal, find a dead gas cart. Gas carts are relatively simple to fix up as long as it's in once piece. It's just a proprietary lawnmower, basically.
My gas Club Car (pictured in my previous post) saw the bottom of a lake, thanks to its previous owner. I got the cart for free (it was dead), spent about $600 on paint, engine rebuild, carb, solenoid, battery, and new window and it runs just fine.
Can you say "show me the cartfax"? :rotfl:

But don't let me convince you out of electric.
Electric carts are much much less maintenance, cheaper to operate, quieter, and in my case; my electric cart is faster and more powerful than my gas one.
They're easy to fix only if you know what you're doing, so I wouldn't recommend taking on a dead electric cart.
Just keep looking, you'll find something.

I wouldn't mind doing some work on what ever I find, but complete engine overhaul or replacement is more than I want to tackle right now. I have found a few that say things like "engine bored, new seals" (actually it said engine board, I just had to fix it). Statements like that make me worry about what the hell they did to destroy the engine in the first place. I will eventually find something. As long as its running I will slowly but surely modify it to do what I want it to do. :cool:

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
gpking said:
Yes sir, I own two actually.
A green 2004 Club Car Precedent and a somewhat rare factory red gas 1995 Club Car DS.
Both have beige roof/seat color scheme, windshield, mirrors, and ultimate light kit.
I'd like to get my Precedent lifted in the future and throw in a PlumQuick Bandit, but that project is on the back burner for now.
(These picture show a good before/after of the corn showing up)

6d273651c354ff3956ee5cc799d65755.png

8e93a7354d210047ec6475374e278a83.png

Those are good looking carts! I've been hunting for a dead gas cart in the 93-97 year range. The transaxle rotation on these is correct for a "big block" V-twin 23 HP Briggs swap. I'm an electric guy when it comes to carts, but I really want to venture into building a hot gas cart with the cammed Briggs and a 2 bbl Mikuni. :biggrin:

You know your stuff when it comes to carts I see, especially since youre a CC driver. :thumbsup: Are you on BGW?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I do not own these golf carts, but they are my transportation 50+ hrs a week to get around the plant.

This is my EZGO daily driver most of the time. It has seen better days, but gets me around.

View attachment 33681

This is the Cadillac as we call it around here. Much better ride and gets me from point A to point B in no time. Clocked at 30 mph.

View attachment 33682

Attachments

• 20140323_234549.jpg
    20140323_234549.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20140323_234831.jpg
    20140323_234831.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 3

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Envoy_04 said:
Those are good looking carts! I've been hunting for a dead gas cart in the 93-97 year range. The transaxle rotation on these is correct for a "big block" V-twin 23 HP Briggs swap. I'm an electric guy when it comes to carts, but I really want to venture into building a hot gas cart with the cammed Briggs and a 2 bbl Mikuni. :biggrin:
I try my best to take care of them. Mainly my Precedent though.
Both of my carts I found through family connections. My DS was in my great uncle's lake until he heard I was looking for a cart; he let me have it free of charge. My Precedent belonged to a family friend who became paralyzed and could no longer use it, so he sold it for $1,500; completely working, pristine condition.
I've been secretly wanting to revamp my gas cart, but it needs more work than just a new engine at the moment.

Envoy_04 said:
You know your stuff when it comes to carts I see, especially since youre a CC driver. :thumbsup: Are you on BGW?
I've learned a lot from keeping my carts up and running over the years as well as fixing my neighbor's EZGO all the time. :raspberry:
I was on BGW a lot when I was working on my Precedent light kit install, but the community just seems so unhelpful and hostile at times so I don't frequent the place anymore.
GMT is a much better forum to waste my time on. :biggrin:

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
dmanns67 said:
I do not own these golf carts, but they are my transportation 50+ hrs a week to get around the plant.

This is my EZGO daily driver most of the time. It has seen better days, but gets me around.

View attachment 21253

This is the Cadillac as we call it around here. Much better ride and gets me from point A to point B in no time. Clocked at 30 mph.

View attachment 21254

Cool! Your EZGO is a Marathon model, I've got an old 87 Model that's a 3 wheeler. One thing about them, they might be as ugly as sin but they'll go forever and you can't kill them. :rotfl:

The Cadillac is actually intriguing me, I've never seen one like it! Those larger diameter wheels and tires are one thing that help with the speed, but it still has to have a honking drive system to get it up there. My guess is that it was actually manufactured as an LSV, lots of plants use them for just the reason of speed.

gpking said:
I try my best to take care of them. Mainly my Precedent though.
Both of my carts I found through family connections. My DS was in my great uncle's lake until he heard I was looking for a cart; he let me have it free of charge. My Precedent belonged to a family friend who became paralyzed and could no longer use it, so he sold it for $1,500; completely working, pristine condition.
I've been secretly wanting to revamp my gas cart, but it needs more work than just a new engine at the moment.

I've learned a lot from keeping my carts up and running over the years as well as fixing my neighbor's EZGO all the time. :raspberry:
I was on BGW a lot when I was working on my Precedent light kit install, but the community just seems so unhelpful and hostile at times so I don't frequent the place anymore.
GMT is a much better forum to waste my time on. :biggrin:

I got my cart free because some drunk golfer tried to use it as a boat. :crazy: The worst part was that it sat for years after it was in the pond, but since I was replacing everything the only stuff that really mattered was the rolling chassis and body anyhow. Does your gas DS still not have a front bumper? I think I have an old one laying around somewhere at the house, it won't be brand new out of the box, but it isn't junk. If I can find it I'll let you know and send it to you if you want it. The great thing about a DS is that they're pretty easy to work on IF you know what you're dealing with. If you ever get the need for speed for your DS, check out this kit: Club Car Engine Upgrade Kit 23 HP . I've been secretly ogling that for a good while, I'm just saving up some special golf cart mod money and waiting for the right deal on a dead 92-96 gas cart. That kit has ALL the stuff you need for the complete swap, you just have to have a minimum of 4 inches of lift installed.

BGW is a REALLY good resource for carts, but like with most forums there are a few folks who for some reason or another can be real @$$e$ to newcomers. :frown: (And sometimes even to well established members!) I used to be on there a lot more than I am now, I help out all I can in the electric CC section but unfortunately Precedents aren't my area of expertise, so I rarely even open a thread with Precedent in the title. I try to jump on all the old resistor cart and early OBC and controller questions I can though, those I know about and can help folks with.

I've got to agree with you 100% on your last sentence though, GMTN is the best forum to hang out on. :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online