Anyone fill up with non-ethanol gas?

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I found a place near my new workplace that sells 100% gasoline with no ethanol mix. I am going to fill up with it tomorrow. Will it take several tank fills of pure gasoline for my PCM to adjust accordingly, or would I see gains immediately in HP/MPG?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I would love to tell you yes but that is so hard to say now days since it is so rare to find anymore.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Used to be able to find regular E0 gas, not anymore. Can get it with premium but it's not worth the extra cost. And yes, you will see a little improvement. I used to be able to get an extra 50-60 Km out of a tank of gas.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The Octane is lower? I use 87 currently, pretty sure 87 has always been available in E0? Any chance that I'm going to get any knocking or pinging at first?

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
It'll run fine.
The octane varies - just like the ethanol stations. Just depends what octane your station decides to/can carry.
A station close to me has straight gas (used to carry 89 and 92 - now only 87). I buy it when I'm in the area. I can't say that I had a great improvement in mileage or performance (perhaps if I used it all the time - but sometimes it's .50 more per gallon).
But I hate ethanol - it's just a big government scam with the lobbyists SOB's - but that's another topic!

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
I use it in my Dakota and it's only 15 cents more per gallon near me (very lucky, I know). Comes in 87 and 93 octane; I use the 87. I do see higher miles per tank and the calculation is worth the higher price. Wife doesn't care to pay the extra for her TB.

If y'all can build an argument for her to use it, I'll be sure to convince her.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
NJTB said:
The octane is a bit lower,
The octane should be whatever is stated on the pump. 87 should test at 87.

Ethanol will, however, lower the BTUs in a gallon of gas, reducing the power.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
They were closed today, so I'll have to stop back later in the week. This tank of 89 octane and I'm at 325 miles at quarter tank. 255 miles at quarter tank on 87 miles on the last tank of fuel. I did use cruise control on the highway this time, but wow what a difference.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Here in MN where Ethanol was first jammed down our throats before any other state, there are a few sporadic stations where you can still buy non ethanol gas. The straight gas though is always 93 octane at least and more expensive per gallon than the benefit you could get. I only put the lowest 87/cheapest in my cars. There's actually a station close to me that has it...I've actually wanted to try a tank or two just to confirm my logic.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online