Anyone else have trouble with their wiper blades staying on?

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I've had this problem for a while now and it's extremely unsafe.
While driving with my wipers on, occasionally a blade will detach itself from the wiper arm and I have to shut them off to prevent from ruining my windshield.
My wipers snap in securely to the wiper arm, but they always come off when I need them!
I had to pull over three times today to put my wipers back on. The first two times it was the passenger side, the last time it was the driver's side.
I have the same brand of wipers front and back, but I've never had a problem with the rear wiper, just the front.

I just want to know if anyone else is plagued by this issue.
These Duralast wipers have never given me problems on any other vehicle. Just the Trailblazer 'rejects' them.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I don't recall any other reports like this ever. Probably not worth troubleshooting. Just change brands. I use Bosch Icons because I trust Reed Timmer. Plus they don't fall off.

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
It was worth asking.

I don't run my wipers that fast nor often so it is beyond my why the arms aren't holding. If this continues with a different brand I guess I'll have to try bending the hook part of the wiper arm to hold more tightly.
They 'snap' when installed, they just come loose somehow.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
You need to sometimes pull hard, so they will lock in place... in the past I've used the $5.00 per pc wipers from walmart, now I'm using Costco's Goodyear wipers with no issues....

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I've been using Michelins (incidentally left over from the Ford I traded in, I had never gotten the old wipers off to get these ones on) and I of course made sure that the fitment was extremely snug going in and got a loud CLICK! telling me when it's good to go. I then double-check by trying with a little over light force, but not quite moderate, attempting to remove the wiper without pushing in the lock.

Reactions: KNBlazer

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
It takes more force than you would imagine to seat the wiper blades. You should not see any significant gap between the blade and the bend in the hook when seated.

Reactions: KNBlazer

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
IllogicTC said:
I've been using Michelins (incidentally left over from the Ford I traded in, I had never gotten the old wipers off to get these ones on) and I of course made sure that the fitment was extremely snug going in and got a loud CLICK! telling me when it's good to go. I then double-check by trying with a little over light force, but not quite moderate, attempting to remove the wiper without pushing in the lock.

On mine, I sometimes hear the click...

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I've only had trouble with crapufit accufits, but it's been on various makes not just GMs. I've used cheapie Ancos from walmart on my TB since I've had it.

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Interesting.
Each time I get in I do a little "pre-trip" where I yank on the wipers to make sure they're on.
Last night driving in a torrential downpour they miraculously stayed on, so maybe they were never installed completely.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
my right wiper used to come off all the time when I bought the truck, there are actually scratches in the windshield where someone let them run without a wiper on the arm.

I fixed mine with a pair of pliers, bent the hook a the end a little more closed and they seem to stay on now. Right or wrong that was my fix.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My current wipers actually have a wiper "lock" on them and there is no way the wiper can come off aside from totally breaking the unit. No loose wipers that way :biggrin:

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
The RainX wipers I had up until a week ago (Been using since I bought the TB) had a locking tab on them as well and had to depress the tab on them to slide them out. I just bought some cheap Michelins from Walmart and these do not lock, more of a press fit. I have been using them all week since it has not stopped raining, they have yet to fail. I think I am going to pick up some RainX ones today. The last thing I need is to be driving down I-81 and the wiper comes off of the arm.

On another note, I did find that RainX makes an exact replacement wiper blade for the rear wiper on the 07+ TB. Seen it at Walmart for $8. Before I was buying a small windshield wiper, taking the new blade out and cutting it to fit the old wiper. I think the stealership wanted like $20-$30 for a new rear wiper blade.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I ran bosch icons and hated them. Not trying to bash them so hear me out. I ran them for a year and never turned them on when the blades or glass was dirty with leaves, tree spinners, ice, nothing like that. After 2 months of just rain the blades would leave little streak marks from pitting in the blades. I then had one of the icon's start to come loose a little from the bracket that holds the blades on. They were still locked on but it was if someone was rocking the blade around while it was wiping the windshield and would leave little bump marks on its travel. really annoying. I then went to rainx wipers and love them. I never even use my rear wiper as the mirror is never really even on my windshield anymore. I only had 1 issue with the rainx ones where my passenger wiper, in the winter I put the wiper blade up so I could brush off the windshield and wiper cowl and I bumped the wiper arm and the blade came slamming down onto the glass and the tiny little plastic tab that holds it onto the arm snapped off. I easily went down to advance auto where I got them from and they gave me another one for free, no questions asked. Other than that my rainx ones have been great and its going on 1 year now for these too. It is my own fault why the one broke so I can't go after rainx for it but I would say they are great wipers but you can get cheapie ones like may03 and be happy. My dad has michelin all years on his that are summer blades but with a plastic cover over the spring parts so it doesn't ice over. They work really well.

If yours keep coming off what I would look into doing would be to try and bend that little hook on the wiper arm in a little, not much but just a tiny bit. It happened to me on my old car where it was ever so slightly opened and the blade would seat properly but if I bumped it while brushing the snow out of the cowl it would unhook from the locking tab. The closer you make that hook on the wiper arms, the tighter it will be to put the blades on and get them locked on. Do not make them touch but have it so its I would say maybe like 3/8" apart. Also when you pull the wiper blades on, do you hear the little click of the blade actually locking the pin into the wiper arm? Try and take the blade off and look at that little hook where you would depress it in order to remove the wiper blades. See if that little nub is broken or damaged, if it is you need a new set of blades as yours broke off like mine did.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB

Members Online