Another "WTF is this noise?" thread

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Just started noticing this sunday. Any ideas?

[video=youtube_share;hD1KM5kjpM0]http://youtu.be/hD1KM5kjpM0[/video]

It's definitely not the cat, although that is sort of what it sounds like. It only happens when i move and not always.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Caliper pins not sliding right and causing the inside pad to wear down faster than the outside pad? Have you gotten down and perform a visible check?

My wife's car sounded similar, ate the pad all the way down where it actually fell apart. Outside pad was "fine". Added another item to my list when checking because of that.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I noticed that you were going in reverse in the vid... does it only do it in reverse? I would say a brake shield as well.. or maybe the heat shield for the exhaust??

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks guys, I'll check these out when i get a chance.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
MAY03LT said:
That was my first thought.:yes:

My first thought too, but the noise is gone when I'm standing still. It's not just in reverse either.

I'm thinking the brake shield must have been knocked loose or I picked up a stone in it. If the shield is broken, are they necessary to replace? Just curious.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Probably just bent it. Bend it back to clear the disc.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
DDonnie said:
If the shield is broken, are they necessary to replace? Just curious.

Here is a quote:
In rain and snow removing your dust shields can accelerate corrosion and potentially lead to premature failure, so it's best to leave them equipped whenever possible.

Now is it absolutely necessary to have them equipped for the brakes to work? No. But as you just read the brakes will be subject to faster wear without them.

I would keep them on since we see so much snow and salt in the winter.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online