AMWeaver47's Stereo Build Thread

amweaver47

Original poster
May 15, 2012
I have wanted a nice sound system since I bought the TrailBlazer and I finally got one put together. I had a few goals when I was putting the system in. My first goal was to use the components I already had, which I'll list below. Second goal was originally to take up as little of the cargo space as I had to. My third goal was to hide the components of the system. I had 2 motives to this goal, one being for the appearance as I hate exposed amps and such, plus I wanted to keep the vehicles contents from damaging speakers (In layman's terms: God damn it, who forgot to latch the toolbox lid? That socket just whacked the sub!)

First step was planning. I cleaned all the crap out of the truck and took a look at my blank canvas.

The obvious location for the amps was the floor compartment so I started by cutting the carpet out of that area. I decided I wanted the sub box to look like it belongs in it instead of just a pre-built box thrown in. Since I needed the floor compartment for the amps, I couldn't cover it so I only had about a foot of depth front to back to work with. This made the subs I had a tight fit.

So anyway, after much planning and a couple renditions I built my box.

I built it to fit the contours of the interior so it looked decent. I considered facing the subs toward the tailgate as that's the traditional setup but with them facing the back seat, they are protected and I don't have to worry about hurting the speakers. The subs I have called for 0.8 cubic feet of volume and I believe I ended up with about 0.91. The box is sealed for a little tighter bass and each side is separate from the other.

After the box was built I tore out the interior so I could run wiring.

I drove it like this a couple times. If you ever wanted to hear every mechanical piece doing its job then go for it. If you are like the other 99% that could care less what the transmission sounds like when it shifts then I wouldn't recommend it. It was laughably loud

Here's my pile-o-parts.

This is my setup for the amps. Underneath them is a custom piece of mdf with the center cut out that is siliconed to the floor. That's what I mounted the amps to. I thought I had a picture of it but I don't, use your imagination.

The wiring is a bit of a mess for the time-being so excuse that. Otherwise I like how it came together.

Here is the box mounted in the truck. I bought longer bolts and mounted the box in the same holes the tie downs were in.

I wish the carpet was a better match but I'm not too worried about it

Here's how the box fits up against the quarter pieces. I'm really happy with how it came together.

I lost the function of that side storage cubby but what in the hell would I ever use that for anyway.

Here's the radio installed. I have a remote for the sub volume which is really nice to adjust for song variations and I have my auxiliary cord coiled in the bottom.

I used components that were basically free to me (I traded some time for them). My dad had a connection on returned/open box items at one point in time and kept some for our own use.

List of stuff with the original prices:

Alpine DVA-9861 Head Unit - $600
Pioneer Champion Series 10" Subs - $250
Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5" Door Speakers - $300
Rockford Fosgate T600.2 Amplifier - $500
Rockford Fosgate P400.4 Amplifier - $300
Various Wiring - $200
Supplies from Lowes - $100
Install kit, Connectors, Wire harness adapter - $50

Total - $2,300

I have about $200 out of pocket invested and obviously a whole lot of time but I ended up with a pretty nice setup for next to nothing.

One more interesting thing. With the interior out of it I got the impression it sat a little higher than before so I took a measurement from the ground to the wheel well.

And this was today after everything was installed.

Almost exactly an inch between no interior and fully loaded.

Let me know what you think about it. What's good, what's bad, what you would have done differently? It's my first install so be gentle.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Be gentle? What is there to be gentle about? That box looks really clean. Not a big deal about the slight variation of color. I bet you'll find some down the road that is exact.

Only thing I'd do differently would be to run the aux cable down the dash and up through and into the center console. Open your armrest (I'm assuming it's the same basic design as my Envoy) and have it Velcro attached to the underside of the armrest. This way your player or phone or whatever device can be hidden there.

Good job. When you show the dollars spent that good job becomes really good job.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Well Done!

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Very nice setup! :thumbsup:

I know you said to ignore the wiring but a little tip you may be interested in would be some techflex for your wires. It is a plastic wire loom that looks really neat for bundling your power and speaker wires together.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Had to come back for a second look and now I saw a big mud tire by your pile of parts...when does it get installed?:raspberry:

amweaver47

Original poster
May 15, 2012
I appreciate the comments guys. Kickass I will look into those wire looms. I think something like that would be my best bet to clean up the wiring. Like I said, a few minor adjustments to make but I'm in no hurry. I left the aux wire in the open and on the long side so my friends can hook up their phones and pick the tunes more easily, that was my thinking.

HARDTRAILZ said:
Had to come back for a second look and now I saw a big mud tire by your pile of parts...when does it get installed?:raspberry:

The big mud tire serves no purpose as a tire any more. I think it's a Baja Claw off a 2013 JK and I'm pretty sure it's a 16" anyway. Worse than that it was in good shape until it got a slice in the sidewall from accident damage. So its main purpose is to protect bumpers if we have to push vehicles around with the fork lift or the plow truck. Good eye though, you never know what kind of crap I'll have in the background.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
If you have some free time can you get some measurements off of your box?

amweaver47

Original poster
May 15, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
If you have some free time can you get some measurements off of your box?

Sure. Let me know what exactly you're looking for and I'll do my best. It was built with some cardboard templates and basically made one piece fit the next if that makes sense.

amweaver47

Original poster
May 15, 2012
I'm sure these drawings aren't to scale at all but they helped me measure stuff out. This is as close as I could get with the box carpeted and inside the truck.

This second one is accounting for the 3/4" MDF.

EDIT: My bad, on that second picture, switch the 13 1/2" and 13".

I didn't measure the width of the box, I barely measured it when I was building it. The crucial part is making a template for each side panel and measuring in between the templates. The carpet took up the slack in the areas where the measurement was a touch off. If you need anything else let me know.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online