Amp goes into over protection mode when playing audio with deep bass

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So I've had this problem for a while, when listening to music after a certain volume level, the Over Protection light on my amp goes on and I loose power to subs. I have to restart truck to get them working again. I've checked the connections, checked the fuses, checked for shorts. Nothing. I've had this problem since last summer and I'm ready to fix it. Any help with this appreciated. I don't have a 2nd amp to test if it's the amp that's the source

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Whatcha running? We lost all of our profile info during the forum change so I can't see what you have.

Also, did it start happening out of the blue? Like it was in and playing for weeks/months and started protecting or was something changed before it started?

shrek77

Mar 30, 2012
It sounds like it is cutting out. Try turning the gain down on your amp and make sure the bass settings are not to high on your deck and you have your deck set up correctly if it has high pass and low pass settings.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Usually if you have it cutoff like that and not turn back on by itself its either overheating or shorting out. I am more leaning towards it having a short that is making a direct connection on the speaker output, maybe a blown or near blown voice coil/tinsel lead and it is causing it to have moments where it breaks continuity and sends the amp in protect. My amps all have thermal, short circuit, under voltage, over voltage protection in them. Thermal and voltage always are temp shut downs until the amp either cools down or the voltage gets back into spec.

How hot does your amp get when this happens? Have you checked the resistance of the ground wire on the amp, and speaking of that wire where is your amp grounded to? What is the resistance of your sub showing as?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
What subs are you running? What's the resistance (ohms) and how are they wired...possibly opening up too much of a current flow.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
My 5 channel amp did this a couple years ago. It turned out to be one of the sets of RCA cables, it didn't like. If your amp isn't too hot the next time it cuts out, and you confirmed all your connections are good, a cable swap might be a cheap troubleshooting step. :twocents:

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'll have time this weekend to mess around with it. I haven't done anything special. I've had these 2 12" Polk Audio subs since 05 and in my Voy since 2010. The problem started about a yr ago but I've just ignored it due to weather and laziness. I've had this problem B4 n it ended up being a short but I've checked a few different times since it's started but can't find any problem. The problem with changing the gain is, I've never messed with the gain since buying the system. So how would that be the source? It's grounded to one of the bolts under the rear seat by the on star box.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online