All power seats not working

Hunter1650

Original poster
Dec 4, 2023
Ga
Hello everyone, new to the forum, recently came into ownership of an 02 trailblazer LT. got it running good mechanically again, but trying to fix the power seats. This is what I have found so far, all of the power seats don’t work, the heated seats also don’t work, checked fuse box under passenger seat and replaced the 08 30a, still no results. Checked stupid stuff like being unplugged and bad wires, didn’t turn anything up there either, hooked the snap-on scanner to it to see if the seat modules would respond but both the driver and passenger modules are unresponsive, the only thing I found was it would recognized when the “back on only” button was pressed but stopped as soon as you let off the button aka would not stay on. Noticed the 08 socket was burnt, grabbed the thermal and noticed temps up to 170° on that 08 30A fuse, continuity was good on all the plugs, no obvious shorts. What are you guys thoughts? IMG_9755.jpeg

IMG_9756.jpeg
IMG_9757.jpeg

The other two highlighted relays were also running hot but at a much lower temp than that 30A which in this photo I had pulled to prevent further damage considering the temp I was seeing. Like I had mentioned I have power to the plugs but modules are unresponsive (if that function is even available) but noticed on the scanner with the data display it registered “back on only” input but only when depressed not staying on after I let off the switch, did notice an arc when plugging in the 30A 08 fuse and lights dimmed, but couldn’t find any reason why. Any direction would help

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Pull Fuse #19 from the Driver's Side Rear Under-Seat Passenger Position Fuse Panel and see if it is also Burned Out. Serious "Props" for the Excellent and Very Direct Use of the Infra-Red Tool here for System-Wide Thermal Diagnostics that we can all benefit from having in our Tool Boxes.

Because of the dearth of Videos available for the TrailBlazer-Envoy Vehicles on this topic... and since GM seldom wastes Engineering for Generic Components... perhaps these Generic Diagnostic Videos will provide additional diagnostic ideas:

...and Check Out this Contemporary, On Topic Thread as well:

Last edited:

Hunter1650

Original poster
Dec 4, 2023
Ga
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Pull Fuse #19 from the Driver's Side Rear Under-Seat Passenger Position Fuse Panel and see if it is also Burned Out. Excellent and very direct use of the Infra-Red Tool here for system-wide Thermal Diagnostics that we can all benefit from having in our Tool Boxes.

Because of the dearth of Videos available for the TrailBlazer-Envoy Vehicles on this topic... and since GM seldom wastes Engineering for Generic Components... perhaps these Generic Diagnostic Videos will provide additional diagnostic ideas:

#19 not used in this vehicle, but #06 was blown which is the LGM/DSM 10A which I guess controls the passenger and driver side? However after replacing the 10A no change in condition. I did pull apart the fuse box and examined everything, no abnormalities other than some corrosion on the bcm ribbon cable, cleaned the corrosion off while I was in there, no obvious faults, looks like everything is making good contact. Issue is still persisting. I pulled the switch from the driver side, some exterior damage but no obvious damage to the internals of the switch. While double checking myself on The plugs, I found that the large orange wire going into the driver side seat, I’m assuming main power, only has about 4v, while the smaller orange one next to it gets 12v, but when I plug them back together I get 0v on the large wire, I know I have good ground and a good connection to the wire. The smaller one’s voltage doesn’t change.

Hunter1650

Original poster
Dec 4, 2023
Ga
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Pull Fuse #19 from the Driver's Side Rear Under-Seat Passenger Position Fuse Panel and see if it is also Burned Out. Serious "Props" for the Excellent and Very Direct Use of the Infra-Red Tool here for System-Wide Thermal Diagnostics that we can all benefit from having in our Tool Boxes.

#19 not used in this vehicle, but #06 was blown which is the LGM/DSM 10A which I guess controls the passenger and driver side? However after replacing the 10A no change in condition. I did pull apart the fuse box and examined everything, no abnormalities other than some corrosion on the bcm ribbon cable, cleaned the corrosion off while I was in there, no obvious faults, looks like everything is making good contact. Issue is still persisting. I pulled the switch from the driver side, some exterior damage but no obvious damage to the internals of the switch. While double checking myself on The plugs, I found that the large orange wire going into the driver side seat, I’m assuming main power, only has about 4v, while the smaller orange one next to it gets 12v, but when I plug them back together I get 0v on the large wire, I know I have good ground and a good connection to the wire. The smaller one’s voltage doesn’t change.
May have found my smoking gun, but will diag more, also thank you for the videos and links, I’m going to check into the heating element on the seat now to see if that remedies the problem. Thanks in advance -Hunter

Reactions: mrrsm

Hunter1650

Original poster
Dec 4, 2023
Ga
image.jpg
Well found the smoking gun, looks like someone broke the seat and tried to diy fix it, but didn’t route the cables correctly, I didn’t notice it before. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: christo829

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
NP... THIS Looks Like.... *Bingo*

ABRADEDSEATHARNESS.jpg

One Caution about this... The damaged condition of the Plastic "Alien - Xenomorph" Tube Insulation might have been caused by North American Deer Mice Gnawing thereon... Check out THIS Article for what these issues entail for Human Health if Mouse Feces and Dried Urine are encountered in close quarters and accidentally inhaled on Dust Particles. The Hanta Virus Kills around 40% of the people it infects... So Beware and Be Careful. Use an N-95 Face Mask, some M11 Nitrile Glove and Eye Protection when investigating further:

Hanta-Virus.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If it comes down to cases... and you need a Full R&R Replacement Driver's Side Powered Seat Chassis... eBay has THIS Serviceable Item ...without any signs of the Hinge Point Plate Damage... available for around $100.00:

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600A.jpgs-l1600B.jpg

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online