Air ride will not level out

it's a voy

Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Hello all,
I have a 06 envoy denali and with air ride, my issue is that the air bags will not deflate. They keep building up pressure making it ride like a old school bus. We looked under the truck and noticed the bags were rock solid, so we removed the lines from the pump and released all the air. After all the air was released we reconnected the lines and it filled as normal. Now it is seaming to be getting stiffer so I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and/or if there was any way to fix it with out replacing the entire air pump

Thank you

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
it's a voy;244097 said:
Hello all,
I have a 06 envoy denali and with air ride, my issue is that the air bags will not deflate. They keep building up pressure making it ride like a old school bus. We looked under the truck and noticed the bags were rock solid, so we removed the lines from the pump and released all the air. After all the air was released we reconnected the lines and it filled as normal. Now it is seaming to be getting stiffer so I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and/or if there was any way to fix it with out replacing the entire air pump

Thank you

Replace the compressor...Mike.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
It may be that you'll have to.

When you turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF, do you get any codes flashing on the inflator switch LED? I know it'd be a two-man job to easily see if you get any flashes.

The service manual recommends using a test lamp to ensure there is a good connection from +12V to the compressor, and then a good connection from the compressor to ground. It then states that if these check out and pulling the hoses allows deflation, to replace the compressor.

I'm not sure if anyone's ever cracked a compressor assembly open with the intent of replacing parts. I can't off-hand find any wiring diagrams for the inside of the compressor. The operation description says that when compression cycles begin, it has a short time where the exhaust valve should open to provide compressor head relief before the compressor itself begins operation. Say you let out half the air (from a "normal" pump-up) and then turn it on. Does it seem to be allowing any exhaust or emit any sort of solenoid sounds, or just sit there until the compressor turns on? I'm not sure if the time the exhaust valve opens is measured in milliseconds or seconds or what.

It is also stated that the module remains awake for a length of time after vehicle shut-off, and should exhaust pressure within 30 minutes after shutoff to lower the vehicle after unloading. Do you see this stage occur? I'm suspecting the exhaust valve myself. If it's the solenoid operating it that's gone kaput rather than just being clogged up or something, I'm not sure if there are any replacements or the model number or price, but it may be a cheaper route than a whole new compressor assembly.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Are you ever wanting to modify your suspension? If so....go with rear springs. Much better and dont have all the stinking issues with this air ride crap. If not yea sure you can spend $$ to replace parts on thr air ride...but your more in less guessing what the problem is. Get springs.....done. thats the best advise I can give. Good luck to you!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rikosintie

Members Online