Air Compressor Not Turning On To Fill Air Shocks

wilbur

Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
My compressor will not turn on to inflate the rear air suspension. I can turn it on via the auxiliary switch in the back, so I know it works. Has anyone had to replace the level switches? Is there something else that could prevent the compressor from turning on at startup? I am also having an intermitten ABS light issue. I don't think the two are related, but thought I would mention it too.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Search around, I'm sure there's something around here about the switches, as I know there's plenty about the bags themselves and the compressor itself.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
If it's the switches you will get a blinking light ( key on ) at the fill station. It will blink 1,2 or three times. I forget the exact sequence/problem order but, you can look that up if you are getting any of those codes.
Most times the problem is in the compressor unit. The fact that it runs only tells you that the motor/pump part is working and does not confirm that the logic portion ( brains ) or valving is working. You can get OEM compressor units from Arnott, I got one from them for my truck...Mike.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
The ABS issue requires a scan tool, otherwise you are guessing. Usually a scan tool is pretty specific with the cause of the ABS light (which tire it is coming from, or what circuit is involved). Just guessing, (I have had intermittent like you), wheel speed sensor or ground (I have had both).

I am not sure about the compressor since I have never scanned for that, but I would guess that will show up as well.

BTW my cheap scan tool does not read ABS codes, so I ask a friend who has a better one. Hopefully you know someone with a scan tool, or have a local business that will give you a free scan.

wilbur

Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Finally had a chance to check out what was going on. Turns out both leveling sensors are broken. The linkage that attaches the sensor to the axle is broken on both sensors. I was able to manipulate the sensor's position and the compressor turned on for a little while.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
linneje said:
I am not sure about the compressor since I have never scanned for that, but I would guess that will show up as well.
The compressor cannot be scanned, it is a stand alone system, and flashes codes...Mike.

Reactions: linneje

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
wilbur said:
Finally had a chance to check out what was going on. Turns out both leveling sensors are broken. The linkage that attaches the sensor to the axle is broken on both sensors. I was able to manipulate the sensor's position and the compressor turned on for a little while.
Good find, did you change your shocks recently?

wilbur

Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
No, its been a couple years on the shocks, but the tires were rotated and balanced a few days before the issue.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
wilbur said:
No, its been a couple years on the shocks, but the tires were rotated and balanced a few days before the issue.
Probably when it happened, the shocks usually stop the axle from dropping too low. Depending on the manuf. of the shocks yours may not have. Hopefully you can just buy the linkage and not the whole deal...Mike.

wilbur

Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Finally was home long enough to replaced both sensors. Air suspension is working again. I found a YouTube video that talks about adjustment of the sensor to achieve the spec. height between the axle and frame. The video states ~5.33" clearance between axle tube and jounce bracket. Can anyone confirm this specification and where to measure? A TSB illustration would be handy. Here is a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8rieTxFEM#t=108

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online