A couple of electrical questions

SirRobin53

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Good morning everyone,
I have a question about a couple of electrical issues.
Reciently, the radio will activate the '' searching for disk'' sound when sitting or moving or parked with the key on or off, with us in or out. At times it goes at night and if I dont drive it for several days I can find a dead battery. Also, if I hit a large enough BUMP, the radio will come on. Now, on to problem #2
The recirculate button seems to have a mind of its own. Most of the time it will not function, though once in a while, it will work, no rhyme or reason.
I have searched here for the recirc issue and it seems that the dash ground pack( thanks Roadie ) is suspect for a MULTITUDE of issues, including this one, I think. I do not think the actuator is at fault because when the light on the button "lights" , recirc comes on every time. I am aware that not all modes will recirc as well. I only try ricirc in dash vents only. I do not suspect the switch yet either because I may get a string of activiation sequences in a row, then nothing for a couple days. Its going into the DOG DAYS here with HIGH humidity and temps near 100 and it is SO much better when ricirc "works"
Any thoughts or comments are always welcomed

Thanks for the help,
Dave

SirRobin53

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Is the ground on the rider side or the driver side? I found what I thought was the right screw on the rider side. I will look on the driver side tomorrow.Still fighting this gremlin.....After trying the fuse pull and ground clean & torque the problem is still with me. How does one pull the switch panel for further testing? A link would be appreciated greatly. Having a hard time locating one.

Thanks again,
Dave

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Passenger side. You will likely have to loosen up the center console, then remove that piece of carpet that's screwed on between the center console and radio stack. It'll be on the pass. side, you can't miss the black wires.

SirRobin53

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
That is the one I did, thanks for confirming the position of the screw. Dern gremlins of electrical nature. This car has had it's share of 'em. I was hoping this was the last "ground" screw that needed attention. Are there any at the fuse panel under the rear seat I might have missed? I "think" I got most of them under the hood.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
G101 Left side of engine.
G102 Left side of underhood compartment, near rear of underhood fuse block.
G103 Left front of underhood compartment, on left side of radiator support.
G104 On underside of hood, near underhood compartment lamp.
G105 In underhood compartment, on firewall, near I/P harness pass-through.
G106 On engine side of left front wheelwell.
G107 On lower left side of engine..
G108 On lower left side of engine..
G109 On lower left side of engine.
G110 On lower left side of engine.
G201 Ground splice pack near, right front of lower console. (This is the one you got already)
G301 Floor in tunnel/console area.
G302 On lower left "B" pillar.
G303 On lower right "B" pillar.
G304 On outside of left frame rail, near electronic brake control module.
G305 On outside of left frame rail, near fuel tank.
G306 On body panel, rear of left rear door.
G401 On lower left "D" pillar. .
G402 On lower right "D" pillar..
G403 (Long Wheelbase) On left side of rear frame crossmember.
G403 (Short Wheelbase) On left side of rear frame crossmember.

SirRobin53

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
DOE......
Printing out for tomorrow........
Perhaps I missed one :dunce:
Many thanks for the lead.

SirRobin53

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
So, the gremlins multiply........ no driving lamps this morning but working fine tonight. All I did was leave it sitting in the driveway and it fixed itself...... Hope that fix itself trend continues (YEA RIGHT)
Still no recirc for the hvac. Will the elm 327 read the commands for the HVAC doors? I would like to see if the cpu gets the command to move the recirc door and what it does with it. The times when recirc works, the LED light in the button will light. When it doesn't light up, recirc does not work. I have been going through the list of ground connections one by one and as yet no success. I do not know anyone with a tech II reader and am loathe to go to the stealer.I will continue to work through the ground connections for now.
Thanks again for the help

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
SirRobin53 said:
Still no recirc for the hvac. Will the elm 327 read the commands for the HVAC doors? I would like to see if the cpu gets the command to move the recirc door and what it does with it.
I don't think so. For platform-specific things, I would think the connected device would have to use one or more of the "manufacturer-discretion" pins on the OBD port, one likely being the serial data wire. Most "generic" devices, without being high-end, generally skip over the manufacturer-specific pins and just connect to the ones which are common across all platforms for receiving "normal" data like trouble codes and live engine/ABS/SIR data.

mr_fons

Dec 14, 2011
I would also suspect the ignition switch, had some of the same problems that you are having
changed it and not had any problems since. bIf you do replace the ignition switch do so with
the key out of the ignition and also compare the old switch with the new one and take notice
the origination of the white gears.

SirRobin53

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
SOOOOO,
Now I have taken a DEEEP breath and HOLDING........
The ground cleaning I have done lit the under hood light, and gave me little else except MAYBE the CD hunting seems to have stopped and no more radio on when IT wants to come on (when I hit bumps). And maybe drive lamps dont malfunction anymore, and rear tail lamps continue to light and a bit of peace of mind......Thank you Illogic. Now it needs time (and bumps) to test further.
I decided to remove the climate control module and have a look at it. 4 screws off the back (nasty 4.5 mm @#$%that i don't have a wrench for) and I could see the button switches. I didn't see much of anything out of the ordinary, but cleaned the rubber gasket/contacts/switch, the plastic actuator and cover switch, and a LIGHT dusting with the air gun. After cleaning, I noticed that the switch activated with more of a snap than a mushy touch. Back together now ( no x-tra pieces) and so far (i am touching wood now) it has activated every time so far......though i AM afraid to test it much......... I really HOPE this does it. If not I think i may raise the :whiteflag: and surrender........

Thanks again for all the help. I would not have been brave enough to try the module without the support from you guys here on GMT.

Sirrobin

PS. Rode for about an hour tonight and tried the recirc button 4 times. Still working..........

SirRobin53

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Thanks also for the cabin filter info. I put them in last night. The evap was pretty nasty, so a good cleaning and filter install and WHAT A DIFFERENCE..... I have AIR again. I'm a happy camper :biggrin:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
SirRobin53 said:
... ( no x-tra pieces)
Little known rule of repairing anything: Take something apart and put it back together enough times......pretty soon you'll have enough parts to make TWO OF EM. :rotfl:

SirRobin53

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Still working.....Still happy....... Still touching wood....and fingers crossed

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanns Carrasco

Members Online