4x4 ain’t working plz help

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Year, model and what exactly are you doing to have this happen. GMT360 don't have push button 4x4. It's a rotary dial.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moved to proper section.

Could be the encoder motor. You could try this thread however it's specific to the GMT360 but is similar in operation.

4WD not working? Step inside.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is Interesting:

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Sierra an it clicks up front I can’t think what it’s called but the thing on the end of the front drive shaft would it cause it if it’s bad

I own a 2005 Yukon that very likely has the same system as your 2004 Sierra (not 100% certain of that though)

I think the only thing up front is the front axle actuator/disconnect. I am not all that familiar with that unit as I have never needed to get into that. With many small actuators there are small plastic gears inside them and these can get brittle with age and break. Is the "click" accompanied by any sounds like a small electric motor maybe?

Does it make any difference if you are slightly moving or not?

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is the noise coming from the front? Could be the disconnect not completely engaging and grinding the dog gears. The test described in the thread I posted above gives a way to test that.

gmonly

Feb 14, 2023
USA
Most likely the switch is bad, it wants to go into 4x, but the switch is not staying engaged. Them switches has been like that for years now.

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is a "Close is STILL Good" Article for Chevrolet Silverados that may still prove very useful for your 2004 GMC 4WD Sierra:

Reactions: Mooseman

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Those switches are known to go bad. Looks like that pic is missing the other half of it

Once a button is pressed and released the switch is out of the picture. It's work is finished. It does nothing else. If the switch did not apply the resistor then absolutely nothing would happen. That is not happening here in this case. A shift is attempted and a noise is being made up front. This is proof that the switch has sent the signal and the TCCM is attempting to do the shift.

The entirety of the selector switch is shown in the picture. Anything else is not the switch.

bittersweet1966

Original poster
Nov 30, 2023
Cave city , kentucky
I own a 2005 Yukon that very likely has the same system as your 2004 Sierra (not 100% certain of that though)

I think the only thing up front is the front axle actuator/disconnect. I am not all that familiar with that unit as I have never needed to get into that. With many small actuators there are small plastic gears inside them and these can get brittle with age and break. Is the "click" accompanied by any sounds like a small electric motor maybe?

Does it make any difference if you are slightly moving or not?
It’s the universal joint will it cause it not to go in gear an make it click when u push the button

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online