2005 TB Sluggish Start ONLY After Gas Fill-Up

Charles Austin Miller

Original poster
Mar 21, 2017
Charlotte, NC
My 2005 Trailblazer LS EXT is now officially 16 years old (bought it in the fall of 2004), and the TB has had quite a few issues in its lifetime. But this latest one has me a little baffled.

Just in the last six months, immediately after I fill up the gas tank, the TB doesn't want to start. Or, rather, it's very sluggish to start, feels like the engine is trying to diesel. This just lasts a few seconds. Then it cranks right up and runs normally for the next week, until I fill it up again.

This ONLY happens in the few moments after I fill up, and it happens at no other time. I've tried to rationalize that it may have something to do with the pressure in the fuel line, or maybe a fuel pump problem, but this ONLY happens immediately after I fill it up. And, no, I'm not driving it dry -- I always fill up while I still have 3 gallons or more in the tank.

No dash lights, no error codes, everything seems to be running at optimum for a 16-year-old TB...except for sluggish start for a few seconds after fill-up. Any ideas?

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Evap system is my guess. The purge solenoid on the engine maybe stuck open and the charcoal canister maybe saturated. When you top up, these systems get flooded and the purge solenoid only opens at certain drive times to clean out the canister.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online