NEED HELP 2003 rear bumper removal

Jorge Cortez

Original poster
May 6, 2016
Portland, OR
Hi guys
i was wondering if anyone knows how do remove the rear bumper and where would be a good place to find one in the pacific northwest (PNW)

Drunk driver hit me and drove off..

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
As I recall from when I pulled mine, there are a few plastic push pins along the underside holding tabs in place (you'll see them, pretty obvious), and then all the bolts along the top that are visible when you open the lift gate. I took the tail lights out also but I don't think you have to. There may be some retainers holding the wheel well liner to it also (I don't remember), then it just pulls off with a little flexing to clear the liner and stuff like that. It is pretty simple, actually.

Reactions: Jorge Cortez

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yes, there are some screws holding the bumper onto the wheel well liner. I remember them when I removed mine to repaint it. You can leave the tail lights in place. :twocents:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
As for where to find a replacement - if you want 'new' - try e-Bay - I found my front bumper cover replacement there (and it was a industry certified part, primed). There are even listings there where you can get the part painted in your truck's color (I don't guarantee it matches precisely, although I think some others here have purchased the painted versions and liked them).

IIRC, I paid about $225 shipped for the primered version. Took it to a body shop to replace & paint it - looks like it was on the vehicle from the day it was built.

Or, you could try a junkyard / pick-n-pull. Since GM didn't really change the design of the rear bumper cover, you can get one from just about any year '02-'08.

PS: The part from either a SWB or an EXT should fit - someone mentioned a few weeks ago that they were the same.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online