2002 Trailblazer Stopped Running

ek02

Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Yesterday afternoon my 2002 Trailblazer LT with a 4.2 started to surge like it was starving for fuel. Accelerated hard and it ran OK. Came to a stop and it ran rough and died. I started it right back up and it has run perfect ever since. It seemed like a fuel pump, but just after starting it back up, it should have run raggedy. It ran perfect when it started. It had an intermittant P0130 code, but the MIL was not on. So today I replaced the ignition switch and put the upper O2 sensor in and erased the code. Drove it 20 miles with no problems and no code reset. I have heard of a lot of no starts and no A/C issues with the switch, but has anyone had a stalling or running bad problem caused by the ignition switch?

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
Check your fuel pump relay and the wiring underneath.. that was my culprit with a no start issue a while back.. could be your culprit.. or it could have been the ignition switch. Those things cause all kinds of goofy stuff to happen.

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
Double that advice. Any odd fuel smell, or overly rich exhaust fumes?

ek02

Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
No odd smells or exhaust fumes. There does not seem to be a fuel pump relay on this 2002. From looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the relay is built into the ECM. I focused on the ignition switch because it instantly started and idled normal right after I turned the switch back on. I have 115,000 miles on this vehicle, and I use it to tow my boat long distances. Trying to avoid a breakdown. I never could duplicate the problem before I replaced the switch, so it's just a guess that the switch was bad.

ek02

Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Found it. I am not sure why I did not see it, Maybe the abbreviation threw me off. I swapped it with the rear window washer relay and it starts and runs OK. I'll just have to keep driving it and see if it dies again. I hate intermittant problems. Thanks for the replies.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For poor idling, clean the throttle body. There are numerous posts about this. Be sure to disconnect the battery while cleaning it to reset the PCM. Other things to check is fuel pressure, fuel filter.

ek02

Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I made a few around town trips, and then a 100 mile run, and then a 150 mile trip towing the boat. So far,no problems. Ran great.

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online