2002 Bravada/Envoy/Trailblazer muffler DIY replacement

darsch

Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Has anyone installed their own new muffler? I'm trying to figure out if the rear is welded on or how does it seal? Also, is there a new donut or some other seal needed for the front clamp or just bolt the new muffler on with the old parts? I don't want to take it apart before knowing what to expect.
Thanks.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I apologize that nobody's ever gotten around to this question. I myself don't have an answer, but hopefully bumping it will get it noticed by someone who does.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Muffler replacement is a rather simple task and there is plenty of room to do so on the TB platform. From the factory they are welded, but even if they were clamped it would take a cutting tool of some sort to remove the pipes as they tend to virtually weld themselves together after time and miles.

Generally, if the pipe leading into the muffler is good, I would just cut it as close to the muffler as possible. That can be done with a hack saw, cut-off wheel, sawsall, or a specialty muffler tubing cutter (make sure the one you get goes big enough -- the TB uses a rather LARGE size exhaust tubing!).

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-2031DD-Exhaust-Tailpipe-Cutter/dp/B000M93OUM/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AGPN5GX6EPRAQ1Q3WPT

Next comes the replacement muffler. Some guys have spent a LOT of money trying to make the TB with the inline, double-overhead-cam 6 cylinder sound good with a rumble. So far NO ONE has succeeded. They get louder and "ricey" sounding but due to the nature of the engine design itself, they will never "rumble" like a nice v-8. So, take care with muffler selection as you can end up with a vehicle that is a pain in the ear...

You may need to stub on a section of pipe to the rear of the muffler if you are replacing the factory muffler with one that is smaller. They can be clamped or welded in place.

This may help you to know what you are looking at:

050628TS03-291.JPG

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
FYI--the stock exhaust is kinda of oddball 2.75 diameter. You will find mostly 2.5 or 3 inch stuff, but either can be adapted with success.

The Neens

May 20, 2014
I used a Walker #21409...It bolts together at the front, but the rear needs to be cut & welded to the tailpipe...I had the muffler shop remove the resonator and tuck the rear section of pipe closer up to the body...Sounds a little better...

darsch

Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks guys. I never got an email to this thread so I didn't think anyone responded yet.
Good info, I still haven't put the new one on but I did have another look and it is welded right by the muffler so it will need to be cut off and stuff. I think I'll just take it to a shop and have them do it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online

No members online now.