05 EnvoyXL SLT I6 vibration issues

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Hey guys, new member to the site, glad I found this place! I have a 2005 Envoy XL with 102500 miles. strange issue im having....when coming to a complete stop (under approx 10 mph to 0) i hear a odd vibration and rumbling noise from the front it seems, possibly underneath. When i totally stop, noise seems to come and go, and as well as when i turn the wheel. A tech noted i needed inner/outer tie rod ends for the F pass side wheel and a alignment. Also, i need to realign the exhaust. Looks like someone backed into a curb and bent the tail pipe downwards a lil bit. Do these two coincide?? Its the last issue i need to fix b4 i have a perfect truck.

Michael

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Tie-rod ends would not give you a rumbling sound, the bent/broken exhaust would though.
You might also have an exhaust heat shield that is loose and rattle under the truck.

BTW, it would have an I (for inline) 6.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks bud...lol. I work at a Audi dealer . So used to using the V on our cars here hahaha (shame on me). Just pulled the truck around now from the employee lot.....no sound heard at all. Maybe as the truck warms up it shows the vibration more?

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
05EnvoyXL said:
So used to using the V on our cars here hahaha
haha, no prob, we use the V in most of the GM products.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Was all the 100K service done? Plugs and all fluids?

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Hey Roadie. I got the truck with 100,000 miles. I activated the Onstar as well. they have no history of any services done on the vehicle. Im still looking to see of the tranny service was done. I wanna do that so bad but i dont know if it was done at 50,000 miles. Dont wanna compromise the internal structure of the tran. Besides that i did the tune up : spark plugs, air filer, brake flush. still waiting on the fuel filter service and coolant flush.

As for the noise i mentioned above Roadie, theres two distinct noises. The inner tie rod end ( F pass side wheel) is shot, lotta play with the wheel and alignment is off. so when the truck is in park and i turn the wheel theres a faint vibration in the front area.

The second noise, more noticable is the clunking underneath when slowing down to a complete stop. The rear muffler/exhaust is pushed up. looks like the previous owner backed into something and dislodged it. Im guessing the muffler is pushed up againt the heat shield or some other piece causing it to bang n clunk against something.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The transfer case MUST be done every 50K. If you don't have proof it was done, just do it. There's no downside. Also no downside on a transmission service, no matter how neglected it was before. IMHO - that's an urban legend started as a way to rationalize transmission neglect by bad owners.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Gotcha....ill look into the transfer case service. I already have the inner n outter tie rod ends to replace that mess in the F pass side wheel area.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Well....come to find out the vibration issue I had when de-accelerating to a stop turned out to be a bent exhaust pipe. Took a block of wood to wedge between the pipe and part of the R pass side suspension and viola....noise is gone...now just to cough up the $384 to cut and weld a new exhaust pipe....LOL

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
05EnvoyXL said:
Well....come to find out the vibration issue I had when de-accelerating to a stop turned out to be a bent exhaust pipe. Took a block of wood to wedge between the pipe and part of the R pass side suspension and viola....noise is gone...now just to cough up the $384 to cut and weld a new exhaust pipe....LOL

For $384 you can purchase a whole new catback. Cutting and welding in what I assume is only a small section of bent pipe should be around $50.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Thats what I asked the dude at the shop. He said the bend was too close to the exhaust itself. I asked if I can get way with cutting that one bad section, he said he would if the bend was at a different spot. I tried with my mechanic friend at work here to bend it back into place, just isnt happening. Its amazing how awful a sound that thing made.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod