04 Sierra 1500 gauge problem and Service Air bag warning

sweettsinger

Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
Texas
Howdy Y'all! Just bought a 04 Sierra 1500 and I have two questions.
First the RPM gauge isn't working. Second The display says Service Air Bag.
Is there something I can check or do to get the gauge to work?
The little used car lot I bought it from said they reset the Air bag sensor and there isn't a problem but I'm still leery that there could be a problem. I called the local dealership but they don't work on anything that old.
Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Is there something I can check or do to get the gauge to work?
I would start by connecting a scan tool and confirming that the engine speed (RPM's) data is readable. If you can read the RPM data with the scan tool then the most likely problem is a bad stepper motor in the gauge cluster. The link below provides a good overview of the work required.
2003-06 GM Truck Stepper Motor Replacement
You can find multiple sites online that sell the stepper motors and light bulbs as a kit.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Attachments

• Ultimate Guide to GM Gauge Cluster Repair.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As for the ABS error, you will need a scanner capable of reading those codes or finding an independent shop with a capable scanner. Another less costly alternative is a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter and an app such as Car Gauge Pro on an Android device. Once you have a code(s), you can confront the selling dealer that they did not repair it properly, if at all.

I called the local dealership but they don't work on anything that old.
That is utter BS. Either find another dealer or, even better, a reputable independent shop that has a scanner capable of scanning ABS codes

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online