04 Rainier Binding/Vibration during slow speed turns

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
OK so bringing this back.....trucks been in shop trying to fix awd.

He doesn't have tech 2 so he tried diagnosing his way

Took encoder motor off and turned what encoder motor turns to "manually engage" awd test drove still nothing

Applied power to encoder motor nothing

Notice shaft from front of encoder motor moves around in every direction a lot said too much so he seems to think I need transfer case....

Any suggestions anyone??? Roadie I need u Mann haha. Thanks in advance

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
jeffro312 said:
He doesn't have tech 2 so he tried diagnosing his way
Find a new shop. His way is suboptimal. Interview candidates first to make sure they have the REQUIRED tool. A Tech II or equivalent (like from Snap On) can command the encoder motor to go to any position. You may indeed have a bad transfer case, but a mechanic who is GUESSING without using the proper tool is no better than we are in this forum. Seriously, a technically advanced vehicle like this needs to be cared for by a properly-equipped mechanic. Independents exist with Tech II tools. I use one.

It's like bringing your child into a veterinarian for an operation. Only in an emergency that would otherwise be fatal for your child.

lovesrugers

Jan 25, 2012
Jeff, in the service manual you have there is a way to check the transfer case. You need to refer to or have your mechanic look at transfer case nvg 126 page 31. Refer to step 7.

Jerry

edit I see the Roadie replied while I was doing this up. I agree with him. You need a mechanic with the proper tools or you need to get the proper tools to do this your self. As you have told me you have the service manual so you know exactly what needs to be done to find what is the problem.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Hey roadie mechanic is a shop my dad worked at for years so they were trying to help me for free they got me in discounted to the dealer for tech 2 diag so well she what that says thanks for advice guys just didn't know if these symptoms was a tell tale of what's wrong and more experience guys like you could tell. Thank will update monday

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
lovesrugers said:
Jeff, in the service manual you have there is a way to check the transfer case. You need to refer to or have your mechanic look at transfer case nvg 126 page 31. Refer to step 7.

Jerry

edit I see the Roadie replied while I was doing this up. I agree with him. You need a mechanic with the proper tools or you need to get the proper tools to do this your self. As you have told me you have the service manual so you know exactly what needs to be done to find what is the problem.

Pretty sure but if I'm wrong sorry. Most of the diagnosing for transfer case involves the use of tech 2 and I went to every shop around and all deny having one except the dealer which my shop has a friend in and will diag my truck for 50 dollars on Monday

Such horrible timing were getting 20 inches of snow tonight here in ct. I had to dig my Buick out 4 times driving home from the shop in only 5-8 inches that's been plowed and driven on. Reminded me of driving my camaro I used to have.

lovesrugers

Jan 25, 2012
The step I mentioned is purely a mechanical check of the actual transfer case. It does not require the use of a scan tool.

Since you don't want to look in the manual here is what it states:
1. Remove the encoder motor assembly.
2. Connect a wrench to the transfer case sector shaft.
3. Turn the sector shaft to apply the clutch pack.
4. While the clutch pack is applied attempt to turn the front propshaft using a pry bar between the front propshaft U-Joint.

Does the clutch hold the propshaft and prevent it from being turned?

This will verify if your transfer case is shot or not.

Jerry

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
lovesrugers said:
The step I mentioned is purely a mechanical check of the actual transfer case. It does not require the use of a scan tool.

Since you don't want to look in the manual here is what it states:
1. Remove the encoder motor assembly.
2. Connect a wrench to the transfer case sector shaft.
3. Turn the sector shaft to apply the clutch pack.
4. While the clutch pack is applied attempt to turn the front propshaft using a pry bar between the front propshaft U-Joint.

Does the clutch hold the propshaft and prevent it from being turned?

This will verify if your transfer case is shot or not.

Jerry

So when my mechanic took off encoder motor turned sector shaft then test drove and no power upfront would accomplish the same thing

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
the roadie said:
Find a new shop. His way is suboptimal. Interview candidates first to make sure they have the REQUIRED tool. A Tech II or equivalent (like from Snap On) can command the encoder motor to go to any position. You may indeed have a bad transfer case, but a mechanic who is GUESSING without using the proper tool is no better than we are in this forum. Seriously, a technically advanced vehicle like this needs to be cared for by a properly-equipped mechanic. Independents exist with Tech II tools. I use one.

It's like bringing your child into a veterinarian for an operation. Only in an emergency that would otherwise be fatal for your child.

:iagree: I have used the same test of turning the sector shaft. The question is which way do you turn it? And the cam on the shaft that applies the clutch has no detent to hold it in place. So turning it and then test drive will not give you AWD. The shaft will simply turn back to the 2WD position. I do this test with the truck supported on a lift and running. If I turn the shaft and the front starts to drive ok. But A skilled tech who knows can do a quick diag in a few minutes and $100 to KNOW what the problem is, is a lot better than $200 for an encoder and then $700 for a tcase and then finally $100 for Diag. All to find it needs a $.50 wire fix.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online