04 Chevy Trailblazer

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Recently I purchased a new battery due to my truck needing to be jumped multiple times. After purchasing the new battery now my truck will not start unless I take the bolt out the positive side of the battery move the post to a post to a different position then the truck starts. After it is started I can move post to correct position and replace bolt. Once I turn the truck off it will not start again unless I repeat the above steps. There are no codes when put on the code reader everything reads okay.Can someone please tell me what this is I really don't want to waste time and money on multiple things if it is a specific problem that needs to be fixed

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Why not leave it in the position that works? But sounds like the wires might be loose at the terminal (connector, end of the cable, whatever you call the thing that the bolt goes through on the wires lol) I'm not sure if the crimp is visible or not there to check it though to see if that's what it is.

-Also, Welcome to the Nation! :tiphat:

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
The position I have to put it in is below where the bolt can be connected to the battery. I think there may be a short in the positive cable

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
How do the mating surfaces between the battery and cable look? Should be free of rust or tarnish, if not hit it with some sandpaper.

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
With some wiggling, the bolt will come out of the cable end molded plastic and I believe you will find corrosion hidden in there. I had a similar problem and that was what I found it to be.
And... Welcome :grouphug:

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Welcome! Electrical problems often do not seem to meet with reason. Even if something does not seem like it would cause a problem like corrosion on the bolt, it often does. Be very thorough when cleaning the batter terminals. Tighten it just enough that you can not twist it by hand and no more. Buy a multi-meter to check where you are losing your voltage. It very well may have nothing to do with the battery connections. Good luck :smile:

Reactions: BHAMER and Mounce

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Clean clean clean all the connections and I bet it will be good as gold.

Reactions: BHAMER

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
I tried to clean connections between cable and battery still won't start. Tried a new bolt still nothing. I think I need to replace positive battery cable. I'm scared to though because what if it won't start at all then

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
Perhaps the connection at the starter is loose or corroded. As i reread your post, it seems that moving the cable helps with starting. Do you use jumper cables on the positive cable when repositioning or rest the bolt on the terminal of the battery? Can you wiggle the cable when trying to start IEpull/push/jiggle or other explitive of your choice? :smile: Beginning to sound like cable now.
The stock cable can seperate in the connector itself and the space in between can hide the corrosion. Check that as well.

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
No I don't use jumper cables I just habe to remove the bolt and move the positive cable to a different position on the battety to start then replace the bolt once started. I'm SO over it

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
what other position on the battery? You have a dual post with side and top terminals? You may have a bad terminal inside the battery.

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
I have to put the hole on the metal piece connected to the cable under the hole where the bolt goes into the battery. Its a week old battery

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
Welcome! Electrical problems often do not seem to meet with reason. Even if something does not seem like it would cause a problem like corrosion on the bolt, it often does. Be very thorough when cleaning the batter terminals. Tighten it just enough that you can not twist it by hand and no more. Buy a multi-meter to check where you are losing your voltage. It very well may have nothing to do with the battery connections. Good luck :smile:
:duh:

Reactions: dmanns67

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
I have done all of that brend new battery and bolts. It has to be a short or corrosion in the positive battery cable!

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
The stock cable can seperate in the connector itself and the space in between can hide the corrosion. Check that as well.

Be SURE to look here if it is a OEM cable. Mine is an 02 230.000 on the clock and OEM...... still going :smile:

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
No they checked it with a device but I don't think it is the meter you are referring to. It was the device you use for codes. All codes read OK except for a brake sensor because I need new rodars

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
I did take it to autozone that is who put the code reader on my truck. I will take it back to see if they can do the other meter or I can just buy one. I am going there now I will let you know what it says to see what to do from the info I recieve

Reactions: BlazingTrails

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A code reader is not a voltmeter. And Autozone parts clerks are not competent diagnosticians because if they were, they'd be working in a shop and getting paid for their excellent diagnoses.

You need somebody competent using a voltmeter to find out where the OPEN (not a short) CIRCUIT in your cable connector.

It's not rocket science, but it is science.

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
I found the problem on of the cable wires has a crook in it. Kind of like how a phone charger does sometimes. Is there a way to fix this or would it be better to just replace the whole thing?

I greatly appreciate everyones help on this! I'm sure you can tell I know very little about cars

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The "crook" in a phone charger often happens because the wires are so dang thin, and copper may be malleable but at some point it will break if it gets bent at sharp angles a lot.

I would replace it. An internal break in the cable could cause higher resistances, which in turn causes heat, which can be a fire hazard.

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Thank you! I plan on replacing it, thats seems to be my only option. Is it easy to do could I do it myself? Ir would it be better to take it to a shop?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Is it fixed since its for sale?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Front or rear..I got spares

04TBowner

Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
I didn't have to fix it it just need to be tightened up. It was loose from when I replaced the battery

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online