YT video: RC 33ft scale model of Concorde - with four turbines

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I sometimes run across things from my google feed on my phone (which is pushed to me, I didn't ask for it. Scary...)

Not a big RC airplane fan, but I shook my head in amazement watching this. It's almost 11min long.

After watching it, of course, I had to do a little research... jet-powered RC aren't unheard of, but they're kind of expensive to build. Guessing this one easily was in the five-figure range. Sounds from the captured speech like it was maybe over in Europe (Germany?)

There's one aspect of this thing I wish they could've been more realistic with. See if you can figure it out.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
That is just incredible model making! Also watch the L-1011 video with a pushback tractor included.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Incredible. Thanks for sharing that. I've seen the Concorde up close and seen it take off. It was an impressive bird. That is one plane I would have loved to ride.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Back in 1985, I was fortunate to get the chance to watch the British & French Concorde taking off while I was having breakfast in the Tampa International Airport Lounge. I was amazed at what a "Tiny, Super-Sonic Airliner" it really was as it left that runway like it was a 105 Howitzer Round fired from the barrel of an Artillery Gun. For an Aviation Mechanic like me ... It really was wonderful sight for these sore eyes. With it's high, spindly under-carriage, and its angled down Nose section ... this Small Plane looked very much like a Jet- Propelled Praying Mantis ...on the Hunt.

Later on, I was sorry to discover that it was FOD (Foreign Object Damage) to this touchy Aircraft when taking off from an Airport where Runway Debris left behind after the careless maintenance from another Airline's Plane would Doom this Concorde en route to New York from Paris France. Normally, "FOD Sweeps and Walk Downs" are performed Daily in pursuit of finding Culprit Pieces of Metal, Safety Wire, Ball Bearings, Nuts, Bolts and Fasteners before they can get ingested into the powerful vacuum stream at the Intake Jet Engine Nozzles.

In this tragic instance... it proved to be a Piece of Metal that had fallen off of one of the engines from an American DC-10 Jet Airliner... lying in wait on the Runway to do this awful Mischief where it had fallen only Five Minutes before the Concorde's Take Off. And so a Scheduled Morning FOD Walk-Down as depicted like this one being conducted on the the Largest Aircraft Carrier in Her Majesty's British Navy just prior to the arrival of their first F-35 VTOL Jet Fighter Plane, would have been impractical and probably impossible to conduct back then at the busy Charles De Gaulle Airport:

MORNINGFODWALKDOWNBRITISHACC.jpg

That small piece of runway debris was soon after struck by one of the Concord's Highly Pressurized Tires resulting in an explosive puncture. This sent Tire Debris flying upwards against the skin of the wing, rupturing the internal Fuel Tank and expelling liquid JP-4 down and backwards via the AC Air Stream into the Hot Exhaust, igniting into long trails of orange and black flames.

The burning aviation fuel eventually caught up to the fuselage as a fully involved fire, but primarily... it was the enormous, thirsty engines of this amazing plane that soon became fuel-starved, Thus, the Concorde lost enough forward momentum and power to fly that it wound up crashing into the Airport Hotel nearby to the runway. This Video describes all of the factors involved in this crash that killed 113 Passengers, Crew and Hotel Occupants:

Last edited:

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Very sad. I couldn't remember this crash (happening across the pond contributed to that, I'm sure... besides the fact it occurred 20 years ago)

Couldn't watch the entire video, so thank you for summarizing what happened. The narration style was a little much for me.

Taking a flight on a delta wing would be way cool. Although boarding / deplaning from an outdoor jetway (with luggage in hand) kinda sucks, TBH. I've done it, and hate it.

Didn't know you were an aviation mech - I thought you were retired LEO. Helps explain your style of writing - very technical! Yay science :cool: 🔍🔬

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Forgive me this On Topic h/j... But there is real relevance in answering your Questions.

The Chinese have a 'Spot-On' Saying about this matter by suggesting:

"May You Live In Interesting Times..."

I've certainly had a great chance to do just THAT. I enlisted in the United States Coast Guard back in 1970 for a full 4 Year Tour and was chosen for Aviation Machinist's Mate School. Later on, I specialized in Main and Tail Rotor R&R Work as well as being assigned to the Engine Shop for 'Closed Door Work' on the GE (General Electric) T-58 Turbo-Jet Engine Re-Build Service. In addition, I performed Mechanical Repairs of practically everything else involving the service, repair and maintenance of (4) USCG Sikorsky HH3F Helicopters assigned to the U.S. Coast Guard Air Station serving the Tampa Bay Area of Florida.

I was also a USCG SAR (Search And Rescue) Air Crewman, Hoist Operator and Plane Captain for the duration of my service. I felt privileged back then and still do to this very day, as back in the 1970s, World Wide there were only 2,500 Coast Guardsmen in the entire USCG Aviation Branch when I was a "Brown Shoe" in the service during the Viet Nam War.

During my Tour of Duty... we lost 1 of those 4 Helicopters in December of 1972 along with 4 Men ( 2 Pilots, a Radio Operator and a Flight Mechanic) and 4 Civilian Seamen just after they were Rescued and hoisted up out of the dangerous waters in the Gulf of Mexico from a sinking Fishing Vessel called "The Wanda Dene" during heavy seas and a huge storm.

We never recovered our Men from that event (The remains of one Civilian were found during the intensive follow ups searches in the weeks that followed) and we never determined the cause of the crash. The Flight Mechanic on that SAR was also my Boss, Petty Officer First Class, Edward Nemetz... and he took that Mission after another Enlisted Man had called in sick. So the memory of this subject of Air Craft Accidents involving Servicemen and Civilians losing their lives in Machines that should otherwise work perfectly bothers me to this very day. Whenever I dwell upon those times... it tends to lengthen my shadow.

Rest In Peace... USCG Crew of The Helo #1474

RIPUSCG1474.jpg

People who often see the Planes and Helicopters of the USCG flying overhead perhaps would never imagine or understand that even though they don't ordinarily get shot at as with other U.S. Armed Forces (except by 'Crazy Cajuns' and Looters wielding High Powered Rifles around the area of the Gulf Of Mexico near New Orleans during certain Hurricane SAR Operations) the daily working conditions are ALWAYS very hazardous. So many of us would often repeat out loud, the 'Old Chant' taken from Days of the Boat Rescuers from 18th Century Original New England "Revenue Marine":

"You HAVE to Go OUT... But You DON'T Have to Come Back..."

This is the record of the USCG Aviation Service People who never arrived back at their Air Stations after hearing and responding to the calls of..."Put The Ready Aircraft On The Line..." coming out over the Air Station Loud Speakers:

After mustering out, I was fortunate in being immediately hired as a Sworn Police Officer by one of the larger Metropolitan Areas of Florida. I worked from then on for a full 25 Years in a long and interesting Law Enforcement Career. I spent the last 18 Years of it as a Detective, with the latter decade of that time frame assigned to work in the Major Crimes and The Homicide Squad.

So Yes... Yay Science... and Yay... Forensics.
:>)

Last edited:

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member