Youtubers quitting

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Lately, several content creators have announced that they are quitting making videos for YT. Some citing dropped revenue, others loss of interest, and some getting outright getting screwed by YT. The latest is DannerScanner:

And another, without explanation and locked comments, The Mechanic OC:

Eric the Car Guy:

And I'm sure there's more.

ScannerDanner is actually very upset about the whole thing, not so much for himself, but for those that paid for a year's worth of his premium channel. What the heck is YT thinking? Yeah, let people pay for a year and pull the plug a month later, and not warning the the content owners neither. Totally screwed up shit. At least he's moving all of it to his own website and will make efforts for those getting screwed. YT are gonna be the losers here.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
YouTube was great until Google took it over. Google owns everything and anything or atleast has it's hand in it. YouTube is just too big that even if the top guys leave someone will move into their place it's just how it is and if Google really wants to they can bury the people who do leave when a Google search does occur for them... scary thought.

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Wow, when ETCG quits it must be something...

YT are gonna be the losers here.

I'm afraid that's not going to be the case. There's plenty of dubious content that has no real practical value but generates shitload of money, all kinds of stupid lifestyle youtubers etc... When I look at what younger people watch, the numbers of subscribers, the content. Wow. And all this matters to youtube, not niche youtubers who invest a lot of effort into informationally charged videos for a relatively small number of enthusiasts. It's sad... YT is trying to be 100 % primitive entertainment money machine, because that's where the big bucks are.
That's the way I see it.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'll be surprised if more than 10% of the whiners actually quit. Probably 50% of the people I watch regularly have posted videos titled "I'm quitting youtube" in which they fuss about the revenue drop and then keep merrily making videos. Been going on for 6 months or more now in the circle of folks I watch and I've not seen one person actually quit.

They're either trying to get YouTube's attention hoping it'll change something if they act like they're dropping their million sub channel or trying to get the subscribers attention and gain more views which in turn will make them more money, even if it's less than they were getting pre-demonetization.

Reactions: Mooseman

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
One factor could be that Verizon just changed their unlimited plan to stream a max resolution of 480P unless you pay additional.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Of course anything YT or Big G does is.money driven, no doubt about it, but just like this forum, wouldn't you make more money from selling actual subscriptions rather than the peanuts generated from the ad views?

I hate it when anything is swallowed up by a big machine, it loses its original reason for being as well as its soul. That's why for sites like that, I use an ad blocker, especially YT, which have become extremely invasive. The more they push, the more we push back and ultimately, the creators are probably the ones losing money because of it.

And I'm talking about REAL content, not mind numbing crap.

Riktar

Sep 1, 2017
Neosho, WI
Mind numbing crap
....And I'm talking about REAL content, not mind numbing crap.
Mind numbing crap is right. Some of the garbage on Youtube is starting to look like the TV lineup from "Idiocracy". Funny movie, but scary as hell to realize you can find real world examples of it in the present.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I operate a few small-scale channels of no more than 2k subs (including Trailblazer Dashcam) and I have never run extensive in-video ads on my channels. Likewise, I never intended for the revenue to be anything more than a small incentive to spend roughly 6-8 hours per video recording, editing, rendering, and uploading. It doesn't even put a dent in the hundreds of dollars I have spent on equipment and software, just because I love creating content.

Since whatever YT did, my revenue has dropped over 50% compared month-to-month to 2016 in spite of viewership being consistent and subscribers ever-increasing. Why are they taking my revenue?

Meanwhile, the site is overrun with clickbait-tier content with millions of views that is no doubt earning those channels tons of money. I have to search far and wide to find channels that produce anything of any value anymore. People got greedy and content is suffering because of it.
Videos posted by shady accounts with views propped-up by bots are abundant and nothing is being done to stop them. Meanwhile, legitimate content creators are being demonetized for crimes they didn't commit. No doubt, Google is still getting their paycheck.

Let's not pretend monetization was a net-bad for YouTube itself. It motivated many channels to improve quality by providing a reward for exceptional content. However, the system has been abused and gamed, and Google has done nothing to remedy this. They have no reason to. As far as they care, they get their paycheck whether viewers are watching someone read a doctoral dissertation or a channel that re-posts compilations of KISSING GIRLS PRANK IN THE HOOD (GONE WRONG) [COPS CALLED].

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looks like YT it retracting its cancellation of paid channels. At least ScannerDanner has some time to move his contents and subscribers to his new site.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online